Trading Machine - ingredients

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Nov 24, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

When I mentioned Dell Hardware, I was thinking desktops. Laptops are a whole 'nother matter. Nearly all are made in Taiwan or other Asia and branded for Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.

I have a friend who's the chief tech guy at a local Circuit City. He claims, "you should buy your laptops at CC and get the extended warranty. Odds of a screen failure within 3 years are about 50/50. Odds of a battery failure within 3 years are nearly 100%... and CC is the only one of the big retailers who warranties for battery".

#21     Dec 4, 2006
  2. billp

billp

Thanks all. Well, at least it would safe me some money buying desktop instead of laptop although I would lose the 'mobility'. Now I know why my laptops just last 2 years whereas desktops seem to last ages.

#22     Dec 4, 2006
  3. Are you going to be using 1 computer for all of trading......order ticket and charts or split them up. Right now I have both chart and order ticket on 1 with a pent 4 3.2 ghz with ht. Ocassically my cpu spikes to 100% and stays there for extended periods when ES ER2 hit severe voume. You should consider this, if you have both apps on 1 them make it duo core IMO. I have never had an issues with RAM whatsoever.

#23     Dec 4, 2006
  4. billp

billp

Ultimately I will like to have 2 computers as I'm not really in favour of getting 1 PC with several monitors. Also, its safer. Thanks for the heads up.

#24     Dec 4, 2006
  5. spinner

spinner

I don't think you can expect any rechargeable battery to last much more than 2 yrs -- it might happen, but don't count on it.

Dell laptops -- I have a 2 yr old Toshiba laptop that was top-of-the-line when purchased and I have upgraded since. It is a terrific computer and has the best display I have seen. A few months back I bought a newer, faster, Dell Inspiron 6000 and was so disappointed. It was noticeably slower, and the display looked just awful compared with the old Toshiba (too reflective and very fuzzy edges). No amount of tweaking would make the Dell perform as well as the Toshiba, and the screen was so ugly I had to get rid of it. I'm still using the Toshiba and would buy another in a heartbeat.

#25     Dec 4, 2006

6. My current computer that will be used for trading until the main trading PC is built:

P4 2.4
    1 gig Ram
    5 hard drives = 1 TB
    DVD/DVD combo
    128 Mb video card
    USb 2.0, Firewire ect ect

I will run on it:
    IB, E signal, Ninja Trader, trading ES and perhaps later ER2 as well. Basically 3 to 4 charts for ES plus the same for ER2 with IB, E signal and NJ. Charts will have the usual: CCI, Volume, BBs, MACD, EMA maybe 1 or 2 more. Nothing super fancy or complicated imho.

In January, I am planning on getting a PC solely dedicated to trading + video editing (hobby of mine). It will have similar specs to those presented at the start of this thread. Iam not planning on spending more than $1000 on it and hopefully less.

The monitor on the other side I have decided to go all out on, and get Dell's 30 incher.

#26     Dec 4, 2006
  7. [

#27     Dec 4, 2006

8. I got three units during black Friday from Staples. They were $20 each, regular price, close to $60. I am good to go!:D :D

#28     Dec 4, 2006
  9. bighog

bighog Guest

I have been pricing out a new box. I have 3 pc for trading and web browsing.

One is for trading platform and NOTHING else.

Second box is for charts only, 3 duel head cards quadro nvidia nvs 1 agp, 2 in pci slots. Originally used matrox because they came stock in IBM workstations back then (this puppy is 5 years old, never missed a lick). nvidia NVIEW is better for multiple screen setups. Matrox is in Montreal and they speak French, support was like nonexistent.
    Third box is for junk, web browsing, e-mail etc.
    The beauty of 3 boxes for separate use is terrific for keeping spyware etc out of the 2 trading machines. Plus no need for anti-vitus etc to slow things down. Plenty of free Grisoft etc stuff out there to run a scan once a week, month is desired. Also, nothing beats a clean reinstall every few months to keep maching running fast.

Here is possible plan as it stands now for a new box to replace one getting old, actually 2 are getting old.

CHIP = Intel core 2 duo e6700, about $300

MOtherboard = ABIT AB9 pro = $150 approx. i looked hard and deep for the mobo, this puppy has latest intel P965 chipset, good card slots, fanless except for cpu (which is low power so not needing a fan that spins at but low speed (quiet). 1067 FSB, 800memory, sata raid if desired, etc.( believe me, those $300
    + gamer boards are no better than this puppy.

2 g of ram = $300 approx, corsair good matched pair, 2 1gb sticks

Hard drive = A 15k sas scsi, hard drives have NOT kept up with advances in cpu's, video cards, front side bus, etc. hard drive maxtor with 16mb cache.

A video card not yet decided on = approx $200 pcixx16, for trading only 2D is need not 3D, but what the heck good cards have 3D.........if this machine used only for order entry platform no other cards needed except a duel head.

Adaptec 48300 scsi sas controller card. $approx 210

600 power supply = $approx 150

Case,
    have an empty server case, "BIG" $207 it cost shipped HA, shipping was like $37 Codagen, i believe in lots of room for cooling and besides i was going to build a server until i found out server software cost way to much for my needs...:D

the ABIT mobo will allow overclock but not for a trading machine, just good to know for later. also plan on this new box for VISTA, business edition approx $250 upgrade edition (i have an old windows 2000k pro to install first, then upgrade to VISTA. win 2 k is not confined by msft so i use it for that. HA

#29     Dec 5, 2006
  10. Just bought a new one:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    2G 800MHz RAM
    Gigabyte 965 Motherboard - very overclockable for games (soft control so back for trading).
    7900 GS nVidia 256M Graphics (2 ports digital or analog)

320G Seagate Sata II 7200
    16x DLDVD Burner

Antec Sonata II Quiet Case/PSU
    Quiet Skivetec Cooler for CPU
    20 inch widescreen 1680x1050 monitor
    + existing 17 inch 1280x1024 monitor

Trade 1 or 2 futures markets so charts on widescreen. Zerolinetrader & chatroom on std screen. Suitable for flightsims and moderately serious gaming.

USD 1650. Wow, its a lot faster than my 2600+ machine. :)

#30     Dec 10, 2006