Trading Lessons/Insights From Coin Flipping

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by tradingjournals, Aug 31, 2010.

1. shakira

shakira

This phenomenon is well known and it occurs when the difference in IQ between the two parties attempting communication is greater than 80 points, and the higher IQ party does not "adjust" to take into account the shortcomings of the lesser party.

#331     Dec 28, 2010
  2. Unless you are a gifted teacher. I've been blessed with many.

#332     Dec 28, 2010
  3. but the problem is that neither party beforehand knows whether he/she possess the higher or lower IQ. So, how does he/she know whether to adjust up- or downwards? Though, ironically, most of the times the one with the higher IQ possesses sufficient confidence to humble him/herself (though many notable exceptions exist) and regards him/herself of the lesser IQ due to benefit of doubt, while the opposite applies to the one with the lower IQ.

;-)

#333     Dec 28, 2010
  4. shakira

shakira

The higher IQ party always knows who the baboon is. Continued communication with baboons is a chore, but sometimes is done for entertainment purposes or ego boosting (or with predatory purposes).

#334     Dec 28, 2010
  5. I challenge anyone here to point to a market with a skew large enough to cover commission and slippage.

It doesn't exit. An edge cannot be obtained just from the skew.

#335     Dec 28, 2010
  6. jinxu

jinxu

I think the stress from trading makes a lot of people dumber.

#336     Dec 28, 2010
  7. I disagree. I personally know of an ex-coworker who exclusively trades Kospi index option skew and who generates a very decent p&l off the back of his pricing models and views.

#337     Dec 29, 2010
  8. I know a beautiful lady in Hawaii...:)

#338     Dec 29, 2010
  9. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.:p

#339     Dec 29, 2010