trading legends I have met

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SethArb, Sep 9, 2006.

1. netedge

netedge

I have met several of the key instructors and book writers including:

-Larry MacMillan
    -Chris Manning
    -John Murphy
    -Martin Pring
    -Toni Turner
    -Robert Deel
    -Jake Bernstein
    -Joe DiNapoli
    -Dave Landry

My personal favorite is probably Chris Manning from a personality point of view. He's a great guy. Pring and MacMillan are very intelligent but a little dry. Jake Bernstein is a sharp guy but I wonder how successful of a trader he really is.:D

#51     Oct 28, 2006

2. I met myself in the mirror this morning. Didn't say much.

#52     Oct 28, 2006
  3. Tom DeMark used to consult, last I knew he was managing few $$billion (yes, correct math) for California educational system.

Many of the "gurus" on MoneyShow = TradersExpo do work for hedge funds and mutual funds. Real big money involved on the institutional side, from what I've been told.

#53     Oct 28, 2006
  4. interesting. thanks!

however, would not be very happy camper if my money was with a hedge fund that consulted a seminar speaker to find its "edge"

surf

#54     Oct 28, 2006
  5. WD40

WD40

I have met Bill Schamp.

I was visiting Singapore. My friend invited me to have a drink at the NUS lounge. Bill was teaching a class there.

#55     Oct 29, 2006
  6. Il Principe

Il Principe Guest

Interesting anecdote from the Merc floor involving that mammoth sell order that was looking for a bid in the S&P during the '87 crash...turns out the phone clerk was a rightie, but he had his phone in his right hand to his right ear and another phone shouldered to his left...his pit clerk for the mammoth order was down and to his left...when he tried to relay the order, his free left hand came through and across the "V' of his right arm(go ahead, try this with your girlfriend), then up towards his bean...for all you kiddies who've never worked on a futures floor, top arm horizontal over bottom arm vertical (as in eff-u) means a THOUSAND...motions near the head mean quantity(mainly)......so, the phone clerk's contorted position read SELL 3K, but what he wanted to do was SELL 3 Hondo....

#56     Nov 17, 2006
  7. jcmonger

jcmonger

This really doesn't count but:
    I was walking down 4th st in Santa Monica one afternoon and walked right past Michael Milken. He was waiting for his driver to bring his car around. I knew I recognized him but "who is he, who is he, who is he...!" MICHAEL MILKEN! as the car door shut. Opinions vary but I would have still liked to shake his hand.
    J.C.

#57     Nov 17, 2006
  8. I'm guessing that was not the Soros order that he sued about . . . .

Anyway . . . John Murphy . . . Monroe Trout . . . Robert Rotella . . . one of the Turtles (I had applied to be one but was rejected) . . . a member of the Brady commission was a friend of mine . . . Tom Russo, now Vice Chair at Lehman, back when he was a commodities lawyer at Cadwalader.

At once remove, a friend of mine worked for Marty Schwartz. Apparently he was a maniac, difficult to work for, and obsessed with comparing his daily results against Paul Tudor Jones.

Also a relative of mine has been friends with one of the biggest hedge fund managers (now retired, but was second in size behind Soros) since their days at Chapel Hill in the Fifties, and through him she was friends with PTJ and Louis Bacon.

#58     Nov 18, 2006
  9. You can ask Dan Zanger about trading here:

http://askdanzanger.com/

#59     May 23, 2009