Trading Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilch, May 3, 2008.

1. I choose to use 3 laptops instead of three screens and one dektop.

I just bough two new laptops + 1 I had already

1) New Dell Vostro 17 inch (1920x1280) with Windows XP Pro (not vista. XP will not be available in a couple of months). I will be using this one for solely for execution softwaere (Lightspeed)

2) Second one - 15 in (1920x1280) - I am running stockchart analysis and a volume analyzer software I ahve. In addition I'll be runing Yahoo IM and online radio.

3) New Compaq tx2000 Tablet - I'll be using this to surf, keep trading notes, etc ... it is cool with the touch screen and the pen .... just like a paper notebook ...

This way I can go anywhere and have the exact same office with me. I can take them all and set up my office that I am accustomed to ... only the office will be different...

#11     May 6, 2008
  2. #12     May 6, 2008
  3. There are a lot of deals on laptops as manufactures are in upgrade mode and want to move aging inventory. Down turn in corporate tech spending also helps here. I just bought a wireless set up for roaming as follows:

HP Pavillion dv 9700 - 3 GB ram - 250 GB HD - AMD dual core - Vista Home (32 bit) - 17" LCD - Built in WiFi - Sprint wireless internet using a Sierra Wireless Compass 597 (USB connected). I needed a solution that works in fringe area. External antenna for USB card (3Gstore.com). Laptop is big and heavy, but easy on the eyes. Great screen, decent battery life.

After rebates: Laptop ~$750 (Office Depot); Sprint ~$59 / mo unlimited + tax; Sierra Wireless Compass 597 ~$49; External antenna ~$60. Card runs well without antenna, but I'm in a fringe area and need it to pull in a decent signal. I usually hit between 300 & 1200 Mbit download and 100 - 200 Mbit upload with 60% signal strength. More than sufficient bandwidth I think.

My broker eDAT platform runs descently on this set up (so far). I'm not a techie, so can't advise yea or nea on Vista. I know enough to get things done without using all the "wizards" that come with Vista. Good Luck!

#13     May 6, 2008
  4. imho it's way over priced as it's built around Matrox. I use a 17" laptop (Vista Premium) with a Matrox TripleHead2Go digital box and run 3 X 22" monitors. Much cheaper and basically the same technology. Runs perfectly.

I also have a simple travel set-up with a 17" monitor that fits in the laptop travel bag with room for the TriplHead2Go as it's tiny. Vista allows a straight pnp dual monitor display and if I stay longer than intended I can buy 3 big monitors and plug in the Matrox box for a quad display.

Simple to set up and use and much cheaper. Matrox can run a test on your laptop to see if your laptop video card is compatable.

#14     May 6, 2008
  5. hi Mike,

Will give it a try if I could find them locally, yet to see one in person.

Using an NEC labtop to run my broker, it has non intel/ATi/nVidia graphic chip, hance can't use Matrox's external box.

#15     May 6, 2008
  6. hi yahoo, that one is an external PCI connect, via a PCMCIA card, actually everything can get off the shell, the box is from Magam, and the box alone cost $1k USD.

Matrox are nice ain't they? Unfortunately it doesn't work on my NEC, but it do work on my little Fujitsu 10 inch notebook, couldn't imagine trading with that :)

#16     May 6, 2008
  7. gilch

gilch

can that adapter for a second monitor be used for any video card?

#17     May 7, 2008
  8. Gyles

Gyles

Thanks for the explanations, azdansmith. :) I shall surely check out with my broker regarding the issue of Vista.

Many of you have given interesting inputs regarding laptops, thanks for the same. Thus, Laptops, and notebooks are making waves. :)

#18     May 8, 2008