Trading Journal, January

Discussion in 'Trading' started by STOCKKBROKER, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Candle,

I was able to upload the .bmp files, but after I posted the link, I couldn't view it?
    Please help.

#51     Jan 5, 2002
  2. #52     Jan 5, 2002
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

While I also have to agree with this, I still think Stockk showed great poise by holding his head up and persevering. Having never traded Other People's Money I can't say how it would be different for me (since I may well treat it as my own), but in a crisis situation I hope I would display the composure Stockk did, regardless the source of the funds. My defense is so tight I haven't been tested to the relative extreme he was, but I'm sure one of these days...

#53     Jan 5, 2002
  4. dottom

dottom

but in a crisis situation I hope I would display the composure Stockk did, regardless the source of the funds

Why not hold your composure, or use that "extra resolve" or whatever discretionary traders call it at ALL times and not just after a big loss?

What if you could hypnotize yourself to believe that you just suffered a huge loss before the open, then get that extra edge that you need?

If you need to "trade in the zone," then hypnotize yourself to believe that you just went 10-of-10 days winners, and now you're "in the zone".

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm exploring the affects of psychology on trading methodology for discretionary traders. While I admire Hitman's & stockk's strong resolve and conviction, I have been unable to incorporate the same belief system into my own trading. As much as I tell myself that I have to "step up to the plate" it's "show time" or "sink or swim today is all that matters" or whatever motivation technique I try, my method works only as well as my method works.

If there are ways to increase performance with stronger conviction, I really want to learn more.

#54     Jan 5, 2002
  5. STOCKBROKER-------How long have you've been daytrading? Have you been able to earn a good living from daytrading?

#55     Jan 5, 2002
  6. dozu888

dozu888

dottom, it's easy to do... add these lines of code at the beginning of your program:

losingStreak = 10;
    doOrDie = 1;
    mustKeepComposure = 1;

.... /* continue trading logic below */...

#56     Jan 5, 2002
  7. #57     Jan 5, 2002
  8. stokk
    it's working...did you get that chart off of bigcharts?
    do you trade off the tape or by using the 15min cgart?
    thanks for posting it.
    uptick2000

#58     Jan 5, 2002
  9. I don't understand why wouldn't I treat the firm's money as my own capital.

I am doing this as a career and if I don't make money I don't eat. As far as saying, oh he acted better because it is NOT his money, I am scratching my head.

Dottom,

I think you have to strive to be as consistent as possible. If you get on a 10 game winning streaks, even if the P&L didn't change that much in terms of capital, the way you approach each trading day is dramatically changed. You have a sense of confidence that would make your trading effortless and you will start to get in a zone.

That's what I think trading in a zone is. Although I haven't been able to put on a substantial winning streak, I was able to keep my losing days as small and insignificant as possible ( with the exception of Friday, of course ), and coming to work everyday is becoming more and more enjoyable as my goal is to take some money out of the market everyday. And I am looking forward to the days when I will have a 22 day winning streaks.

Do you remember, Mr.T said that he was able to get a sense of inner peace and reach a place where he doesn't get overly anxious about his losing and winning days? I think I am starting to get to that zone, where trading will become one with me, you sorta accept the ups and downs of the market and don't get overly upset about anything as this is a marathon and a career not a 100 m dash. I want to make a lot of money but I also want to learn a lot about myself and enjoy my journey as a trader.

I can't wait to get there!!

#59     Jan 5, 2002
  10. Uptick,

I trade using 10 minutes charts, but the default on big charts are 5 and 15 minutes, so I posted the 15 minutes.

I think posting the charts will make a deeper impression on my trading than posting all the comments, although I will still do both.

If you know of any other websites where can I download better charts, please let me know.

#60     Jan 5, 2002