Trading JOURNAL for options

Discussion in 'Options' started by sjain100, Jan 3, 2018.

1. sjain100

sjain100

Hi Guys -

Does anyone know or could share a Sample Trading Journal for Options on a spreadsheet? There are plenty sample trading journals for Stocks, but I didn't come across any when it comes to trading options. I created one myself, but not sure if I have all the important items to look at when it comes to trading journals for options trading.

I am only interested in trading Simple Calls and Puts and not Multi-leg option strategies, and want to create a journal entry for all my trades.

Any input would be appreciated?

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Not to sound like a Luddite but, if you take what you like of the journals that you see, and integrate to your own options set-up, you will learn more, and show better analysis, down the road. Check my vote under Roll Your Own.

3. spindr0

spindr0

I'm at a bit of a loss at what you're after.

Whatever performance calculations you want to track should be included in your spreadsheet. If you want, notate why you bought/sold a position or considered doing so but did not.

If you are just trading long puts and calls, I don't see why an option trading journal would be much more complicated than a stock trading journal since they are effectively the same process.

If you can be more specific, perhaps someone can offer more concrete suggestions.