Trading is Starting to Look Like a Bad Career Move

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by CQNC, Sep 8, 2010.

1. CQNC

CQNC

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/n...erica=18&om_rid=C4y8l5&om_mid=_BMh7gCB8Uk7UPz

Trading is Starting to Look Like a Bad Career Move
    Sep 7, 2010
    Sarah Butcher

In a fit of political correctness, banks are eschewing prop traders. First it was JPMorgan. Now it’s Goldman Sachs.

There are not places for all these prop traders in hedge funds, which are fussy about the prop traders they take on. They only want the very best.

Does this mean most prop traders will be relegated to the oblivion of the spare room?

Apparently not. We have spoken to two and they are both weighed down with offers to join banks’ flow desks.

“There are opportunities popping up all over the place,” says one junior trader on the verge of redundancy. “I’m planning to move back to the flow business and am very confident there’s stuff out there.”

“I’m talking to about four different banks about customer facing roles at the moment,” says another senior credit trader who’s been working in prop. “There’s been a massive merry-go-round in credit and a lot of banks have holes to fill.”

Trading Careers Are Not What They Were

Nevertheless, trading isn’t quite the career it once was.

“Markets used to be a lot looser – it was easier to make money by arbitraging between related contracts. Sixty percent of trading is algo now, which is making it much more difficult to achieve that,” says William de Lucy, head of proprietary trading firm Amplify Trading. “These days, you either need to have a view on the market based on an understanding of fundamentals and macroeconomics, or you need to be able to work with algos.

“There are probably half the number of jobs, and half of those that remain are going to quantitative people,” he adds.

Headhunters working with traders, at least in the UK, claim opportunities are drying up.

“It’s definitely become more tricky to place traders over the past 18 months,” says Tej Dhindsa at recruitment firm Ingram Mayet. “Once banks have cut traders, they are not necessarily replacing them and are farming out roles internally instead so that existing staff take on more responsibility.”

Dhindsa says there are numerous traders who’ve been out of the market since 2008, many of whom took voluntary redundancy in the belief they’d be able to get back in and are now stuck in spare rooms trading their own money.

Despite this, the prop people we spoke to had no regrets whatsoever about their choice of career. “Trading is absolutely not a bad job,” said the senior one. “It can pay more money in a few years than most of us idiots are supposed to earn in a whole lifetime.”

2. Good to see you finaly realized it.
    Now get a real job and bring home the bacon.

3. CQNC

CQNC

THE WTF ARE YOU DOING TROLLING THIS FORUM?

4. I'm not trolling.
    Since most traders lose, my reply is as real as it can get.
    Truth hurts, isn't it?

5. CQNC

CQNC

Maybe for you.

6. Not for me.
    I bring home the bacon BIG!
    Not so for daytraders.

7. CQNC

CQNC

Not if you're wasting your "valuable" time here, you're not.

8. Exactly. If great traders were posting, then Stevie Cohen would be posting here every day.
    He's not.

9. You work in a butcher shop Garcia?

:D

10. That's why I seldom show up here.
    Just once every one or two weeks.

#10     Sep 15, 2010