Trading is not a legitimate business!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by leapfrog, Jan 13, 2004.

1. It would be even if a compnay with many millions or billions dumps toxic waste in the backyards of some poor neighborhood, or takes advantage of some individual, and both don't have lawyers? Wow, very fair!

#31     Jan 19, 2004
  2. GSCO

GSCO

Well you probably would not claim all your gains as income but as company revenue and thus have expenses to write against. The Gov't up here is all for small business, therefore there are many benefits to encourage entrepreneurs. Talk to your accountant.

Ultimately if taxes are your concern you should move to the Caribbean. again, have a chat with your accountant.

good luck
    lol

#32     Jan 19, 2004
  3. GSCO

GSCO

I think the original discussion was about health insurance in which case some of the US insurance plans would not cover that anyways.

Besides, I think you answered your own rebuttal. Many Canadians do go to the US to have things like angioplasty, rather than have their life hanging like a ticking time bomb. If something isn't covered by the Gov't, much like in the US, we can just pay to get it done...................hello............

#33     Jan 19, 2004
  4. No. Period.

#34     Jan 19, 2004
  5. Canadians who have to travel to the U.S. to have medical procedures done in a semblance of a timely fashion are in a sense double paying for already covered procedures. The very high tax rates Canadians pay are supposed to cover the same procedures they have to come to the U.S. and pay additionally for.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/TPHealth18.html

The 11th annual survey of Canadian health care waiting lists conducted by the Vancouver-based Fraser Institute found that the median waiting time for non-emergency surgery and treatments in Canada increased from 13.1 weeks (3 months) in 1999 to 16.2 weeks (3.7 months) in 2000-01.1

The estimated number of Canadians waiting for medical care also rose from 840,358 in 1999 to 878,008 in 2000-01, or over 2.85% of the total Canadian population of 30.8 million. To put these figures into perspective, if the U.S. had the same health system as Canada almost7.9 million Americans would be waiting for treatment.2

Of the 10 Canadian provinces, Saskatchewan had the longest median waiting time at 28.9 weeks, (6.7 months) and Ontario the shortest at 13.9 weeks (3.2 months).

Among the twelve medical specialties surveyed, the longest waiting times were for ophthalmology (cataract removal, cornea transplant, treatment of glaucoma, etc.) at 27.9 weeks (6.4 months), and orthopedic surgery at 26.4 weeks (6 months). However, in some provinces typical waiting times for some procedures can be more than a year. For example, the median wait for neurosurgery in Manitoba is 66 weeks (15.2 months), while the wait for orthopedic surgery is 67.4 weeks (15.6 months) in Saskatchewan and 70.8 weeks (16.4 months) in New Brunswick.

Nationwide, the shortest waits in Canada were for cancer chemotherapy at 5.0 weeks and radiation therapy at 8.9 weeks (2 months). However, patients needing chemotherapy can expect to wait 10 weeks (2.3 months) in Saskatchewan and 12.6 weeks (2.9 months) in Newfoundland.

Given these waiting times, it is not surprising that Canadian physicians reported in the survey that 1.7% of all their patients instead obtained medical care in another country - presumably most in the U.S. In fact, 5.6% of all Canadians needing radiation therapy for cancer obtained treatment outside of Canada.

#35     Jan 20, 2004
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Hmmm....I had a terrible problem getting health insurance. I have Celtic now on a Conversion Plan. I get my drugs from Canada as it is lots cheaper and my new insurance has no drug plan. It is $5k a year paid in advance.

#36     Jan 20, 2004
  7. GSCO

GSCO

hmmmm..........double pay or die?????

That's a tough one. ultimately it comes down to this. If you have money you get taken care of. Same as in the US. I think life or death situations are completely different and should be handled accordingly. The health system up here is not perfect but what it does is give people who couldn't otherwise afford it a chance to get some sort of health care. and I think this guy's problem was that he can't get insured in the US. Moving to Canada would be one alternative for him to get health care.

You're not accomplishing anything by bashing the Canadian Health care system. Up here, we all understand it's limitations. But if you were to ask someone on the poverty line about it's limitations they will tell you it's benefits. People who can't get care otherwise, would be covered for a lot (sure not the major stuff) but everyday things like check-ups and injuries. And If I'm not mistaken, this thread was started because the guy who started it, COULD NOT GET INSURANCE.

#37     Jan 20, 2004