Trading is NOT a business

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TFtrader, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bone

bone

Peternam:

I don't get your point. No comparison at all. None.

#151     Aug 14, 2010
  2. Hi TFT ,

What you say has been said by many people before with statistical skills .
    However let me ask you about the methods you used for testing and selection of criteria for entry/exit and adaptation of these criteria to whether the market is up , down or ranging.
    If you let Tech Analysis software do it for you , automatically you get a mess and without breaking up into sections for differing states of the market you allow the Random Walk Theory to share the results.

I would be interested to hear more.

PC

#152     Aug 15, 2010
  3. I am looking at a blueprint I drew up of Jacks Trading System - its not bad.

But it won't work, the problem - his signal generator (you know, that critical body of Logic that allows Jack to trade seamless from one pivot point to the next)...well...

...Its uses a Trilithium Powered Warp Drive Engine!

I don't know about you Optionpro007, but I don't know how to build a Trilithium Powered Warp Drive Engine.

If you replace it with a Common Sense Engine, the signals won't be as good, but it just might work - so I will give it a try.

Thought You would want to know.

The End (...Thank God)

#153     Aug 16, 2010
  4. Back to the subject at hand...

TFTrader,

There are a lot of successful traders and investors out there - it is a buisness.

I don't beleive you even know what a trading system is. Try reading "Inside The Black Box" by rishi k narang.

If you succeed in designing one afterwards, then read "The Evaluation and Optimization of Trading Strategies" by Robert Pardo - and dump whatever back tester you are using if it does not adhere to the principles outlined in his book. Back testing can produce false positives - you need to understand the art.

Finally, realize the prefect combination of optimized indicators does not make for a trading system, your trying to create a Magic Bullet (same thing old Jack Hershey tried to do a failed)

Also over-optimization can produce a brittle system prone to sever failure when the markets change slightly.

Difference between you and Jack however, you realized you were unsuccessful (after 6000 hours) and hung up the spurs - poor old Jack is still trying.

Now go on TF, go do your home work and try again.

#154     Aug 16, 2010
  5. Thank you! LMHO

#155     Aug 16, 2010
  6. Chasing the Same Signals

http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470824883.html

#156     Aug 16, 2010