Trading is like a drug

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cmoss, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Cmoss

Cmoss

What causes this?

I hate weekends until 5pm cst on Sundays when the futures open up. I am constantly monitoring the markets before work, at work, after work. I dream about trade set ups.

My wife may argue that I need an intervention.

2. you are not trading full-time, and also might not have started trading many years ago.

TooOldForThis likes this.
  3. Cmoss

Cmoss

I started over a decade ago, but have gotten more vested in more recent years.

So are you alluding to the notion that this will die off over time?

4. I'd assume as you gain experience and profitability.
    After a while, normally, people start to become more efficient.

5. Trading can be obsessive/compulsive and then it is referred as gambling. I know I have been there, done that! Some personalities (usually with personality/mood disorders) should never trade/gamble. They are the ones who at one time had brokers/advisers or whatnot. This is by the was an era of bygone times, but it still exist. My accountant the tax/CPA who actually managed clients money. We love to talk shop and discuss the markets. Self-knowledge is paramount to success or failure in this business.

6. Just to ad one more idea. I would rather trust/have my money managed by a CPA than a frigging, egg sucking broker who likely knows less than I about these things.

7. Only if you lose money!

8. chimera

chimera

making money or losing it, is like a drug you mean?

9. There was one bipolar trader (in NYC area) who was very good on medication but when he stopped his meds he could lose his shirt.

10. Handle123

Handle123

I am bi-polar, runs in all the males on Father's side, I have known long time ago, drugs pretty much made me sleep 24 hours a day or made it worse. There is nothing worse to have as a career in life for bipolar is trading, but didn't know at time when I first started. Yeah, have many more down days in my life than happy days, relationships are difficult to maintain. Before trading, I was into gambling, did ok as I was taught and kept it a business. There have been times where I get destructive thoughts of doing harm to my trading account, but have always placed safeguards. I really think having this disease has helped me achieve the direction I wanted to go in trading as I literally lost 3-5 years of my life working hard at it. It be nothing to work 72 hours back testing some idea. I still hardly sleep much. But I seldom get any happiness from trading, maybe twenty five years ago when I was losing often in futures and get couple winning days, but that long gone. I doubt anything in my life would make me feel thrilled much any more, I figure it is a just part of life. I stay busy as health will allow. I often get into tunnel visions when I trade, a bomb could go off and I wouldn't notice. Few years ago I did have to redo all my manual methods, concentrated on not losing, that has actually helped me cope better with life. Trading is a game/job, that's all it is to me and I don't play golf.

We all have problems in our life, whether ongoing or parts, we all do what we can to overcome.
    Trading brings out big time all the worst emotions of being bi-polar, but I been writing down my feelings for so long, I made my condition work for me, when I felt I should add many contracts-I knew the end was near.

#10     Oct 23, 2014