Trading is Gambling. You know it! Be honest

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ElectricSavant, Nov 19, 2006.

Gambling?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. no, I am lieng to myself

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. Wouldn't a virgin having unprotected be at risk as well?

#81     Nov 19, 2006
  2. I think that for the huge majority of traders it is gambling. For a small minority it is not. What else is new?

#82     Nov 19, 2006
  3. I dont think you have to change the terminology just because someone is successful at it... it's still gambling... just executed by a professional

#83     Nov 19, 2006
  4. Keeper

Keeper

As long as she has an appropriate stop loss in place, she should be fine! :D

#84     Nov 19, 2006
  5. But on the packet there is a warning of a 3% chance of a fast market "blowing" by your stop

#85     Nov 19, 2006
  6. I am using the teminology as implied by the op. Most people do not seem to understand the true definitions of gambling.

#86     Nov 19, 2006
  7. Here is the only distinction that matters

Amatuer traders/gamblers rely on luck/chance

Professional traders/gamblers rely on probabilities

#87     Nov 19, 2006
  8. agreed

#88     Nov 19, 2006
  9. "I say" - " a lot of discussion about something that is really a personal opinion at best. Some trades are gambles, plain and simple...some are "calculated risks" (not much better), and some "trading" (vs. single trade) is a logical, rational approach to participating in the marketplace.

I count cards (not really gambling in the long run). I "gamble" on occasion when grabbing a couple thousand shares of a stock I know little about ...."just because" (gap down, gap up, "shouldn't go any lower/higher)... experience tends to lead to better "gambles" - but my primary trading is what I consider simple active participation from a position of strength (capital, education, experience, all the "good stuff").

FWIW,

Don

#89     Nov 20, 2006
  10. Thats gambling from a position of strength because there is still risk

#90     Nov 20, 2006