trading is changing my view of the world

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ivano, May 19, 2020.

1. Nobert

Nobert

Probably everyone has their own reasoning.
    Mine is the feeling, when you hold something of 700 pages, a lifetime of knowledge, e.g securities analysis by BG,
    - you can write your own thoughts inside, next to the authors, and review those years later, & to realize how noobish those were (smiles).

Eventually, many years down the line, having a big-home library. Looking at grand-grandchildren playing outside, though windows ; that's the vision.

(down below attached an episode from one of the books and calligraphy attempt(later on got better at that))

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    #21     May 23, 2020
  2. Ivano

Ivano

@Nobert is like daytrading(kindle) and value investing(paper hard copy books), sometimes when the market is volatile, you cannot invest so easily as a follower of BG(not to mention the cooked books quarters in this period, and that options are sometimes an heding overvaluated middle), but you gotta take your swing/daily slice. I cannot bring 2987 books with me, or search a term on the fly, so an erader eink does his job.
    You can say, ehy you are not going to read all your books in a bar, I know but I am a culture fetish, and I am just happy with the pleasure to have them potentially with me as oncle scrudge with his money deposit.

Some further research kinda prove that writing with the hands increase creativity. I do not know, as in trading I follow another method, mine.

#22     Jun 4, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

Interesting study.
    Tho, i guess it's up to a very little percentage, since it is correlated (a side effect of) high cognitive ability & that one can be raised by 10 points at the most.
    Another study showed up, that by increasing motivation, you can get another 10 points, so basically an individual of 100, could score at 120 in his prime, yet very few ever, will have the need/urge to do their best, at trying to squeeze those extra 20%.

#23     Jun 4, 2020
  4. Andrew_87

Andrew_87

Trading not only changes our view about the world but our personal self as well I think. Good traders are able to inculcate really good habits like discipline, patience, good observance, etc too. So the overall perspective only changes.

#24     Jun 5, 2020
  5. Ivano

Ivano

I guess there are some synergies, if you speak about cognitive ability/creativity and so on in general, not related to proved trade wins, the situation is different in my opinion.(Although these skills not harm at all)

Only changing eating patterns, making some physical activity that pushes the three-sold of developing some endorphins, getting enough sleep, can increase a lot cognitive skills, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    And outside from that, personal character traits as curiosity at my advice can increase creativity a lot, because you start to see a lot of connections that most of the people would not see. Another example, although in the interview process company used to ask questions as is your desk clean? Actually it looks that for creative jobs one should hire somebody that has mess on his desk, because is a symptom of creativity.Just small examples to put forward the relativity of metrics, which I am not sure which one you are referring, I guess not IQ, but ad hoc cognitive measures. Well this is a mechanistic conception that depends by the scope of the scientist observation, and has some intrinsic limits.

But since I have the feeling you like numbers I am curious about one thing. What are the most statistic proven tools that show to be (in general) best predictors of trends in technical analysis in different environments and time frames? Do you have some resource about?

well I know is an ingenuous question but I am not satisfied from my actual desk research, I guess the best way to fix this up is to use machine learning and time series forecasting to take into account the peculiar volatility of a title at a given time

@Andrew_87 I agree with you but in good and bad, discipline for instance can be destructive for certain characters in my opinion, and being a winning trader can give a be a god feeling that does not help modesty I guess

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    #25     Jun 6, 2020