Trading is a VERY GOOD job

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by 0008, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Trading really is a fun job...I cant wait to do it full time one day!

#11     Jul 28, 2003
  2. Job is a job...

Adding emotion is in itself wrong...

Just do tha thing!

#12     Jul 28, 2003
  3. '

Whoosh...that`s a relief. I thought I was the only freak who hates the weekends.

#13     Jul 28, 2003
  4. Dude it's not a job!

#14     Jul 28, 2003
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Couldn't agree more. I get to play with computers and cash in, automate things, retire, etc. That is not a job, that is getting the life I always wanted.

#15     Jul 28, 2003

6. "-- I'd like to meet his tailor!"

#16     Jul 28, 2003
  7. Momento

Momento

Not to mention that I don't need to wear a suit and pretend that I am a better person. :)

There is no phoniness in our business.
    You do your own thing. No lies, no overtime bull shit meetings.

#17     Jul 28, 2003
  8. Dude, where's my job?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

#18     Jul 28, 2003
  9. On one side of a trader career, if we free our mind, anything is possible. On another side, as we get obsessed in this illusion, there has never been a fair game. Connections and networks are still significant for our profitability.

No More.

#19     Jul 28, 2003
  10. acrary

acrary

Yes, the opportunities are huge...and they have to be to attract new money. I don't know about equties, but in futures every winning contract has a offsetting losing contract. If the winners in any given year represent 20% of the players as in a pereto-levy distribution then the opportunity must be very great to attract people that appreciate the odds.

For instance, for a person in a deadend 50k/year job to take up trading with a 80% chance of breakeven or loss in a given year the payoff must be 250k or more (otherwise the person shouldn't trade). (.2*250k) - (.8 * 0k) = 50k (actually the trader needs to make more due to higher taxes, and paying their benefits out of pocket).

Fortunately, I don't think the winning years are independent. My experience has been that a win in one year tends to predict a win in the next year. Unfortunately this also implies that a losing year begets a losing year, so the odds of a losing trader joining the 20% club are pretty slim.

#20     Jul 28, 2003