Trading is a fools game - you can't win

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tenebre, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Guess I've been lucky the past 14 years.

You guys who post this useless drivel might want to expend as much energy and effort into trading as you do into ranting about why it's a losing proposition.

Like any entrepreneurial venture it takes capital, a desire to succeed, skill and persistence.

#11     Oct 1, 2009
  2. Yeah whatever. I'm winning right now. There's guys behind the scenes making a killing too.

You need more screen time along with the other 90%.

It takes serious dedication otherwise you're right........Fooled by Randomness couldn't be a more appropriate statement.

#12     Oct 1, 2009
  3. "I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it, and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else; hard work and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't."

who said this? :D

-- Lucille Ball :D

#13     Oct 1, 2009
  4. Lethn

Lethn

I'm currently looking into trading quite a bit and once I have enough to trade with I'm going to make people like the OP eat their own hat from embarassment with the figures I'll post.

#14     Oct 1, 2009
  5. grey road

grey road

sounds like this retread lost alot of money and couldnt get over it.

#15     Oct 1, 2009
  6. FB123

FB123

Guys, he's just trolling for attention. He started the thread and hasn't commented on it since the first post... I think he just wants to see how many people he can get responses from. Why some people find this type of thing amusing, I will never understand.

#16     Oct 1, 2009
  7. You are on the right track.

Read Fooled by Randomness, by Nassim Taleb

#17     Oct 1, 2009
  8. jnbadger

jnbadger

Seriously, how many aliases have you had on this board?
    But I do believe much of what you say in your post. Although, your grammar leaves something to be desired.

#18     Oct 1, 2009
  9. tenebre

tenebre

Thanks guys,

Yeah I know my post seemed kind of negative, and I haven't lost any money.. yet (sim trading atm). But I'm just damn frustrated when I come up with a strategy and then it appears to work for a while but then the markets do something unexpected and everything falls through, supports, trendlines, etc.

Maybe I'll just pretend to know what I'm doing and market myself on youtube and sell dvd's and memberships to some dodgy trading service and go to trade shows and hawk.. err sell my wares and capitalise on the markets that way? OK ok.. even those people would probably know a great deal more than me and can turn a profit _most_ of the time.. but maybe that's something to shoot for?

Seriously.. I would like to think I'm not a complete idiot, but I just can't seem to make this work. I've had a lot of jobs in my time (I'm 27), dropped out of college and now I'm studying sort of part time, but trading is really what I wanted as a career. It's sort of like.. "I can't see myself doing anything else.." kinda thing. I'm too embarrassed to admit how long I've been trying to make this work.. but a long time. I mean I get frustrated when its the weekend or a holiday and the markets are shut and I can't keep trying to figure this thing out.

I've tried every moving average on weekly, daily, intraday, drawn every trendline and support line I can think of, looked for stochastic crossovers using a dozen different settings..

I know your not supposed to win all the time, just most, i.e. win big and lose small, but I just can't seem to get my winners to out $ my losers, either I'm back to zero or below. Can't find those stocks that will make big moves to out do my losers.

Sorry again for the negative post, yeah I guess I was looking for attention, sorry for that.

Have a nice day/night.

#19     Oct 1, 2009
  10. Redneck

Redneck

I would not call you an idiot – I would say you’re not thinking, nor acting - like a trader

Does not matter what you think – only how – ever

Does not matter what you think – only what you do - always

Everything works till it doesn’t

Food for Thought Sir - from a dumbass trader

RN

#20     Oct 1, 2009