Trading Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by garachen, May 28, 2013.

1. ofthomas

ofthomas

have you read your own posts lately? because at least this thread is providing some guidance as to what one's knowledge should consist off if you are looking to be a quasi-quant... while 80% of your posts are rantings...

#11     May 28, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

but then you are hiring for a different type position I would think, more of a prop-trader that you can mold than what garachen might be looking at...

I am puzzled by your approach though, it is old school... havent seen that done at all, I only heard of it...

#12     May 28, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

what?! you no longer going to post here? that sucks... ET is beginning to lose its appeal completely to me...

#13     May 28, 2013
  4. garachen

garachen

Yeah, I used to think it was a trading forum polluted by a few dozen wackos who think they own the place.

I was wrong. The wackos do own the place - and the majority of the discussions. Any industry practitioner here is the pollutant.

There are a few people here who make good money but they are certainly not the loudest.

#14     May 28, 2013
  5. We are different from one another.

I did few trades today. Enter on the open and exit on the bar 77. For subsequent reversals, just look for the thick box c D to D and its arrow for direction. (Some arrows have jumped around a little. sorry)

This is not a rant. It just shows how different we are.

I use finite math and am just an amateur.

Would any one want me to hire them? I doubt it.

Could I afford to pay a million a year? sure.

#15     May 29, 2013
  6. Pipflow

Pipflow

Thats really a huge sum of money which i cant even think of at the moment. Thus still working towards getting good track record and strong portfolio.

#16     May 30, 2013
  7. A person has to adjust to money.

Money is a commodity that has utility.

Life styles do not cost much to have.

I am oriented differently than the OP here who ignores and makes up "study" lists for becoming an observer and not ever much of a participant.

We all start the same.

It is not complex to figure out how to get to big money. You use money to make money.

Make a zig zag of my trades on the chart I attached. Use 1 contract to understand piont A of making money.

Use 10 contracts to fill in point B.

Use 100 contracts to fill in point C.

Diversify into a second market. repeat points A, B and C.

The illustration of most of one day shows what it is like to have my employee earning his annual pay and his annual bonus.

There 240 working days for this person to use money as I dictate to him.

He learns to follow directions in 20 days.

He makes his annual income for me trading 10 markets by working about 7 hours plus lunch at his desks.

Will he leave my employ? He certainly would be a good employee for the OP after he worked for me a few quarters.

He has to learn 56 finite parts. Lets say he can learn 3 a day by looking at a brief Boolean formula for each.

I gave markersurfer a formula that his quant and his assistant could use to make money every day. There are three people who cannot learn one formula. So it is humorous to see them waste their lives.

It took william J O'Niel 27 months to use a starting 500 bucks to crate his needed capital to begin IBD as a corporation. Read page 173 of "24 Essentials for Investment Success". The OP does not know these 24 items as he proves in his list of questions.

#17     Jun 1, 2013
  8. Your interview questions are sensible. Our questions tend to be a little more difficult since competition is fierce these days and we need to separate the top from some very capable candidates (at least on paper).

ET is a place of "comedy" and you have to treat it as such (as are most online trading "phorums", except, say, NP). I was wondering how soon after your post the resident comedians would appear, and "bless" us with their collective "wisdom"? It would appear that it didn't take very long at all.

#18     Jun 1, 2013
  9. garachen

garachen

Due to geography my selection pool for trading talent is somewhat limited. Plus, I figure coming out of school as long as you are reasonably smart, have a good personality and are teachable that's good enough.

Not the same for hiring programmers. I would never hire a programmer without considerable relevant experience and is at or near the top of his field. Just one mediocre programmer can cause major problems. They don't know what they don't know so dangerous things can be overlooked.

I'm still somewhat baffled by the ET comedians as I do not understand their purpose for being here. Why would people spend so much time posting in a trading forum arguing that success is impossible and simultaneously burning any chance at relationships with people who are or might be successful? I've not seen this play out in real life before so I wonder if either this is a latent tendency that is brought out by anonymity or if I just happen to not have associated with that type of person.

#19     Jun 2, 2013
  10. More likely. In real life, run away from such people : they are parasites at the core. On a forum, just learn what is out there.lol.

#20     Jun 2, 2013