Trading in USA on holiday visa

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by zentrader, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. I am going to the US on holiday and would like to do some trading while I'm there. As I understand it, travelling on an Australian passport I don't need a visa as long as I am there less than 90 days.

    I am a self employed futures trader with accounts at IB and an Australian broker. Would it technically be illegal to make some trades whilst in the US?

    Has anyone else done this? Would I be asked questions entering the country with a laptop when my stated purpose was to visit for pleasure?

    Thanks for any feedback.
  2. simsim


    A laptop has become part of the luggage a frequent traveller carries.

    Make sure that u have batteries charged as at some airports they would want you to switch on the laptop.
  3. lescor


    My advice to you is just to say you are going for a holiday and leave it at that. I have had problems entering the country just to visit my office. It is hard to explain to people what a trader does and not infer that you are somehow employed by someone or working for someone. They are looking for reasons to deny you entry to the country, don't give them any. Traveling with a laptop is pretty routine and by itself won't raise any eyebrows.
  4. Guess you don't travel much?! There's a zillion people arriving into the US with laptops everyday. And a few million teenagers who can't live without email on their holidays too. Don't worry about it! You're not coming to take up employment I presume. Tell them you can't live without playing Quake three times a week if they want to know what it's for! Bringing in a laptop is no more weird than bringing in a mobile phone. These devices are part of everyday life.
  5. Thanks. I asked about the laptop because I haven't been to the USA post 9/11 and have heard that security has really tightened down. Certainly won't mention I will be trading.