Trading in US stocks in UK..fastest IB market data set up?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by baguaboy, Aug 2, 2019.

1. baguaboy

baguaboy

Hi..I have recently opened an IB account here in UK to day trade US stocks, having recently moved from to the UK from the US. Can anyone tell me is it best to be on their European server or their East US server? I get a ping to their Zurich server of 32ms and 78ms to their East US one. I am presuming that both orders and market data would be coming to/from the US to their Zurich server via a premium leased line and so I am thinking that the leg from Zurich to/fro US exchanges would be much quicker than the 36ms difference I am showing in ping times using my UK ISP ?
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Are you automated?
    How important is latency?
    Have any friends in NYC, NJ where you can place your computer and remote in? Or, host in a data center?

3. d08

d08

If you're worried about 10-20ms latency then IB is the wrong broker.

DaveV likes this.
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I agree, but that said being overseas with a internet provider that might require many hops and the time lag to UK, it could be more like 300ms to 500ms.

5. baguaboy

baguaboy

Hi ..thanks for the replies. No I am not automated.. trade small cap stocks manually from L2 , Time and Sales ..trading momentum and inflection point break outs.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Then 200 milliseconds one way or another will make no difference.

7. d08

d08

Sure but that means a terrible 3G or some sort of radiowave technology. I lived much further east from London doing many hops to reach the US but it was never even close to that bad.

Found this interesting.

8. Overnight

Overnight