Trading in the US for 3 months on a B2 visa?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TraDaToR, May 26, 2010.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yep, that sums it up. I will trade for my own individual entity( lacks a better word as I don't have a company but just an individual status in France). I can do it from anywhere but here I will do it from my broker's office.

#11     May 26, 2010
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thanks now is now,

My sponsor? My broker? He won't give me that kind of letter. He just provides brokerage service.

I think I will rent an appartment...

#12     May 26, 2010
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I recalled the embassy this morning to get a second advice( 14.5 EUR again ) and the guy told me the same thing. As soon as I don't come to work for a US entity or for studies, I just need a B1 visa. So I guess I am fine.

#13     May 27, 2010
  4. a. do NOT trade from your hotel or rented apartment

b. Take a wifi scanner, walk around the neighborhood and SCAN for open wifi networks. Once you are on, you can start trading the CME/CBOT , this way your IP is not traceable at least, there is no physical location the po'lice can get you at.

c. I'd advise you to bring a portable stool , this way you can sit on the floor while your laptop is on the stool.

d. Do bring an umbrella, rains sometimes in chicago.

Safest method to trade in Chicago on a B1 business visa.

#14     May 27, 2010
  5. Don't take this for legal advice, but as long as your account is registered at your permanent residence, this is no different than if I, a US citizen, traded my account at IB while on vacation in France.

Capital gains aren't earned income, as far as I know. So you aren't really "working."

Even worse, trying to go legit will just expose you to US income taxes.

#15     May 27, 2010
  6. Sheesh, You open the account in your name with your french address and you can trade from anywhere in the world. No one cares what you do and you don't have to tell customs either. You are on Holiday! Don't make things difficult for yourself. No one is going to worry abt some french dude wondering what he is doing for his 3 mths holiday in the USA. Just remember to leave before your 3 months is up:D

#16     May 27, 2010
  7. LeeD

LeeD

Given you have talked to embassy staff (I presume you have a recording), you always have defence that you acted on the basis of professional advice.

To put it simply, meeting customers is business, meeting business partners (like the brokerage blokes) is business. TRading is very difficult to distinguish from investing and investing you own money is not a regulated activity.

#17     May 27, 2010
  8. I would still follow my advice,

Trade with your computer on the stool, you sitting on the floor, on the pavement of someones garage using their open wifi connection.

#18     May 27, 2010
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Thanks guys, all valuable advices.

I don't have a recording of my discussion with the embassy, but I remember yesterday's guy name and I don't like to lie and say I am on vacation for 3 months, especially to the US customs. I just thought I will take a copy of my W8-BEN to show I never owe taxes in the US.

PS: If anyone in Chicago wants to rent an apartment from September 25th to December 18th, or sell/rent a PC with 3 screens , PM me:)

#19     May 28, 2010
  10. Good Luck.

How are you going to permanently immigrate to the US anyway? from my knowledge legally it is quite difficult, are you doing the 500k EB-5 route? The only other options i can think of is marriage-family or H1b,which you need an employer for.

#20     May 28, 2010