Trading in Thailand

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by FireWalker, Dec 28, 2003.

1. mokwit

mokwit

The US may be different but the former 'easy' consuls in UK are being held to the letter of the regulations. For years I got a 1 yr non O on the strength of having money invested in the stock market. This year they told me no can do anymore, embassy staff have been twice in a week to check. Luckily I was able to get a company I consult for to provide paperwork for a Non B, but many others are finding themselves in a difficult situation.

I tell people not to buy a condo as likely in a few years it will be the Thai Govt deciding how many months of the year you can spend in it, not you [many other reaosns like building next door 24/7].

Likewise retirement. Dont sell everything to retire here - you may find yourself suddenly ineligible for a retirement visa and trying to re-establish yourself in US at 90 rs old. That said, in Thailand there is always a loophole and currently it is the Ed visa.

#191     Feb 23, 2012
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Just saying that it makes sense to be careful about investment advice.

I was sure that I would just get a Non-O retirement visa (800k baht in a Thai bank for 3-months or 65k baht income per month verified) but lately I've been looking at working in Thailand. I could augment my retirement income and meet people other than just in bars etc. I don't want to teach English but maybe math or science would be ok.

I'm also keeping my home in the US under property management (10% of the rent as management fee) and keeping a car in the US stored in the garage of a family member. I'm keeping some furniture in rented storage as well.

Medical insurance is another big consideration. Given the number of traffic accidents and the use of motorcycles and scooters there is always the chance of getting hurt. I've read that there is very good medical care in Thailand but it can be expensive. Some US policies will cover Thailand but many don't. People should budget for medical insurance if they will be in-country any length of time.

I'm planning to look for a condo but not as an investment. I'm a little concerned about the Thai government changing their Visa policies but the expats are such a source of outside money that I doubt they're going to get too restrictive but you never know.

#192     Feb 23, 2012
  3. ybfjax

ybfjax

There is also a visa for practicing for a monk/monestary. But have not seen anyone get this. I have heard Hull, Uk have tightened up long stay visas. Tourist visas shouldnt be a problem, but non-imm visa for visiting friends has been (at least openly) closed off. having a child, married, retirement is easy if you haveth documents. Ed visa is easiest. I've gotten two back to back from usa consulate in dallas. very professional service.

i dont encourage the buying of property either, but plenty of older people do it with no reservations for their thai wife. Retiring here is fine. Other than monetary requirement, nothing in that departmen will change. The extensions are a bitch, at least initially, especially for marriage extensions: some immigration offices want photos showing relationship, and tea money to visit the house of residence. my friend has been doing the se asia hoping for almost a decade, and thailand visa process wont change too much.....he still gets tourist visas and his passport is packed with stamps. just goes to show that the shoestringers can do it. With a will, there is a way.

#193     Feb 23, 2012
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I've heard the Dallas consulate is easy to work with and to avoid the Los Angeles consulate.

#194     Feb 23, 2012
  5. Very sound advise, especially your point about Government erratic changes in visa policies. My friend from Chiang Mai told me that as of now even the retirement is limited to one year for the new applicants.

#195     Feb 24, 2012
  6. ybfjax

ybfjax

I thought the retirement extension was always 1 year? Or did it used to be two years? That would be nice if they had two year visas/extensions.

#196     Feb 26, 2012
  7. mokwit

mokwit

Always has been 1yr. Financial hurdle was once 200k, now 800k and for as long as I remember, but the Imm office will Grandfather anybody still on an earlier, lower number.

#197     Feb 26, 2012
  8. The way i was told was, one has to reapply each year.
    Do you know what the extension fee is ?

#198     Feb 29, 2012
  9. ybfjax

ybfjax

1900 baht + required paperwork depending on reason for extension. single/mltiple re-entry permits is extra. i think 1900/3900. thaivisa keeps up with the latest fees. i understand that following years are easier to extend than first one, as the same office may remember you and can process you easier.

the advantage of extension is that you do not need border runs. just mail in 90 day notifications. and its cheaper if you get 1 year extension.

#199     Feb 29, 2012
  10. Are Thai girls hot? Are they cheap?

#200     Mar 1, 2012