Trading in mainland China

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Hamlet, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Well,

I want to discuss trading in Mainland China.

Whats it like for you traders trading there. Does society there view you as a gambler? really? How about friends and family?

Does a traders income exceed most?

Do you find any restrictions in communication with the rest of the world about trading and co-operative ventures?

Are there seminars permitted in the public places about trading?

Is day-trading a proliferation among common citizens, or is it for the Elite (like that word!)

Does the weather in China cause an interruption in service often? for DSL...for Dial up?

Is it true censorship is alive and well in China? How does this affect your trading? For instance what you write and discuss in public forums? (sounds familiar) Twenty years ago, I could not take photographs in Shanghai or even take my camera in or printed publications in.

Are there many American Traders working and living there? How are they viewed?

You see.... for a thread to be titled trading in Mainlaind China, entails discussion directly related to trading.

Michael B.

#31     Jul 25, 2005
  2. joesan

joesan

#32     Jul 26, 2005
  3. joesan,

Thanks for you gracious replies.

Michael B.

#33     Jul 26, 2005
  4. I visited one of those offices recently (Beijing), and was deeply impressed by the poor structures and services they offer. No charting sevices provided, computers were more than two years old and relatively slow, and system and/or software crashes happened more than once a month. And what's more, based on my conversation with the boss of that office, I even guess it's just a bucket shop where only a virtual scheme is provided and there is no actual trades happen. All they want is your loss and they'll take out your deposited "guarantee fee".

#34     Jul 27, 2005
  5. It was also my impression that the securities industry in China is not much developed when I visited China in Feb. But this in itself may present an opportunity as the market is very inefficient in China.

#35     Jul 27, 2005
  6. Hamutaro

Hamutaro

The equities market in China at this moment is total rubbish, thanks to those stupid communists who invented this unique strange market decades ago. A tradeable financial market requires a sound financial infrastructure: account reporting, public/free float, market participants, rules and regulations, law enforcement, etc. All these important elements in China are still in chao.

One thing all of you here don't know is that the stock market in China is completely controlled by the evil hands of those communists, not by the investment public. There is no equilibrium of demand and supply, all investors in China are hopeless losers at this moment.

The only stock market you can touch in China is the Hong Kong market which has been running for over 100 years. The financial infrastructure is very similar to UK/US. That's why Warrent Buffett only plays the HK market, not the Shanghai market.

#36     Jul 27, 2005
  7. Chinese stock markets are not different from other developing markets, in that it is very inefficient, and is not different from the US market in 1800s.

In any case, if you are willing to take both sides, long and short, I think the opportunity is there.

#37     Jul 27, 2005
  8. Hamutaro

Hamutaro

You all grow up in America or Europe, all things have been taken for granted. In many asian markets, most stocks cannot be shorted, and in China, all stocks cannot be shorted. Regarding free float, from state-owned to private hands is a painful reform which will take many years to accomplish. Currently the stake holding percentage is the biggest theme and the government decides to increase the market circulation at the expense of all investors.

The US market is already the best market to play with, I don't understand why many of you are interested in somewhere else. Is it a herding mentality?

#38     Jul 27, 2005
  9. mokwit

mokwit

I agree. If you want to learn how to trade the Thai market you have to read stuff written in the period up to 1934 SEC act by Livermore, Gann, Wyckoff etc. I know exactly why Livermore formulated the rules he did through trading syndicate stocks in Thailand.

#39     Jul 27, 2005