Trading Hammers (revisited)

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by NihabaAshi, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yes and it's those reasons why some traders struggle when they switch trading instruments while using the same Japanese Candlestick patterns.

For example, lets pretend someone is using a very simple initial stop/loss protection like placing their stop 1 tick below the low of of a bullish white hammer pattern while trading the Eurex DAX futures.

In contrast, they decide to trade Treasury ZN futures via the same trade management. That's a completely different type of price action due to different type of market context and volatility. Therefore, that 1 tick below the low while trading the Eurex DAX futures may be a very poor initial stop/loss protection when applied to Treasury ZN futures.

My point is that "one hat size does not fit all". Thus, different trade management for different types of trade instruments and different trade management for different types of price action within the same trade instrument.

That's why I stated early in the thread in a conversation with "sunnyskies" that we could use the exact same entry signal but have completely different results based upon differences in our trade management when comparing him to me or him to someone else. Also, there was another message exchange in this thread with someone that posted a few charts of valid trade signal that produced positive results. Yet, when he asked me if I would have taken the trades...I said NO and my explanation was that I didn't like the market context involving the price action.

Simply, market context and volatility are extremely important to me that determines if I trade a valid pattern or not and it has impact on my trade management after entry.

If someone reading this is confused about "market context"...read the conversation by me about such at another forum @ http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/34/do-candlesticks-work-7900-3.html#post97285 involving Japanese Candlestick patterns. In that conversation I use the phrase "within context" but I'm really talking about "market context".

Mark

#921     Apr 21, 2011
  2. Dark Bullish hammer YM 15 Min Timeframe Should be valid according to the thread.

White Bullish Hammer Add Signal. May not be valid according to the length of the lower shadow of hammer in relation to prior bodies, it was close . I added anyway.

#922     Apr 21, 2011
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Hi,

Thanks for the charts.

That's not a valid Dark Bullish Hammer pattern via the sub-group discussed in this thread. The dark hammer line and the dark line before it are not in proper relationship with each other.

Also, I know this is a very old thread that was posted in 2005...I'll repost a rule commentary about the Dark Bullish Hammer pattern along with the chart example for you to determine why the pattern in your chart is not the valid sub-group I'm discussing.

By the way, you have three dark horizontal lines on your chart...out of curiosity what do they represent. :confused:

[​IMG]

#923     Apr 23, 2011
  4. Those 3 dark lines on my chart are nothing. The top one is my curser crosshairs, the second one is a previous support line from the chart, 3rd bottom line is just the top of my volume panel.

Man o man ,

I have a pretty lengthy sheet of all the rules that I have sub grouped, and organized from reading this thread. Even then I messed up lol. I thought I was being a good little student and would have that pattern spot on! oh well. The little details must be perfected very diligently with this method , I like it none the less.

The key here was that the interval before the hammer, closed below the open of the hammer. I must have missed it on my checklist. I sat there all day patiently waiting for these setups in 10 different markets. I will do the same tomorrow and report back.

I did some back testing by hand in a bunch of different markets and found I Should get 1-3 trades a week per instrument with this method on a 5 min chart.

Couple Questions.

Did you come up with all/most of the methods rules yourself Mark?

Can this method be used with constant volume bars and show similar results as time bars?

Appreciate your time,

ZR1

#924     Apr 24, 2011
  5. It may not be a hammer, but it is a pattern I recognize. If possible can you post a chart of a valid revised hammer trade, and does volume play a part in the trade or just price?

#925     Apr 24, 2011
  6. Hey oraclewizard, there are lots of charts in this thread that have correct versions from the past if you wish to use the search function you will see plenty of good examples:)

#926     Apr 24, 2011
  7. Heres a good Bullish Dark Hammer example from before.

#927     Apr 24, 2011
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Hi,

The chart that Zr1Trader reposted of one of my old charts is a good example.

I myself do not use volume mainly because I do a lot of volatility analysis and supply/demand analysis that allows me to see volume without the need to input a volume histogram on the chart. Yet, sometimes I do put volume on my charts in chart discussions so that those that use volume don't feel lost in the price action in comparison to some of my charts that don't have volume on it.

Mark

#928     Apr 25, 2011
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

For those using Japanese Candlestick patterns merged with support/resistance analysis or supply/demand analysis, the following information will be useful if you're trading the Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures via the 1 hour chart.

Key change in supply/demand 12noon - 1300hrs edt on Thursday September 13th with a price area of 852.40 - 843.90

Emini TF futures has recently retested that 852.40 price area yesterday late in the regular trading session and already again today. The 852.40 - 843.90 price area is a good range to look for trade opportunities or use as profit targets.

Another key change in supply/demand today 0100hrs - 0200hrs edt with a price area of 856.80 - 855.80 and it too is a good range to look for trade opportunities or use as profit targets. Both of the above mentioned key changes in supply/demand price zones are valid until price action traverses completely through them.

You should already understand the price direction prior to the appearance of any trade signal. If not, don't trade.

#929     Sep 18, 2012
  10. Datradr

Datradr

hey,

I have day traded for a while and used to use hammers all the time...probably the most out of any set up I can think of...can be very powerful

I have not read through this entire thread, however, can you post examples of when these fail and provide your input if there was any indication it might fail?

basically a bad hammer set up...i dont take to use hammers in a side ways move only at extremes for the most part

#930     Sep 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.