Trading Guru nostalgia

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by long, Jun 26, 2022.

1. long

long

Back in the day I was introduced to commodities through a Ken Roberts training course and then again through a Larry Williams course. Recently I found the old course material and it got me wondering who else was offering courses like that. Did any of you buy similar courses? Which ones?

Slope Trader likes this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Lol, spent 10k on Larry Williams system, at least I got 3 great dinners out of it. His system worked for a month, but when you over sell it, pro's force stops to be hit.

Yes, I have bought over 100 grand of courses, software and systems. I stopped in late 90's due to me knowing more than people trying to teach me in areas I was most interested. Some I use and have changed and automated. I can't remember names of most with exception of George Lane, George Angell, John Brown, Toby Crabel, Terry Davis, Curtis Arnold.

long and Nobert like this.
  3. In 2003/04 I attended a trading seminar in a Holiday Inn hotel after seeing an ad in the newspaper. They served free breakfast. The tray of bacon was nearly all gone when I arrived.

I didn't buy anything, get hooked into their sales pitches. I knew it was essentially a scam.

You have got to be an innocent, naive, fool.....to think spending $97, $490, $997, $1,500, $4,995, $9,775, $14,488 on material and instruction....will lead to you having your own ATM machine, and dream life you've been waiting for and deserve,

All the males sitting around there....looked like gullible losers,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  4. ET180

ET180

Lol. I've never been to one of those seminars and never will go, but I can imagine how that went. Probably the same demographic that shows up to low budget cruises:

Regarding the systems to trade, I've always had the question, if it worked so good, why would you ever sell it? Wouldn't it be so much easier to simply use your own system to trade if it's so profitable? The old saying: "Those who can do. Those who can't teach."

5. .

Getting a pamphlet in the mail advertising the Ken Roberts TWMPMM courses that was filled with charts containing classical chart patterns was my first ever exposure to trading and technical analysis. I bought the first TWMPMM course and read it and felt like I was seeing a new math-based game to learn and play.

It spurred me to buy some books on trading and then start trading some years later.

The course was weak and lacking in important information for newbies, but I'm grateful that it started me on this journey.

long likes this.
  6. long

long

ditto

7. I only read his books a few months ago. But not being a commodity expert, I can't really say how good/bad they were. Still learning...

8. long

long

For what it’s worth, I really respect Larry Williams. He has a way of looking at markets quite differently than anyone else. I buy his annual prediction every year.

SunTrader likes this.
  9. Wayne McDonells (FX boot camp) course and Indicators are the holy grail of pivots in forex. Also he's a great teacher in interpreting financial data releases. Hes a notorious liar and promotes to his student a bucket shop brokerage beeing the downside but his material really works. He teaches you how to exploit an arb with the peso/USD that still to this day does exist. Also he's one of the few who teach support and resistance correctly as in an uptrend the hold of support beeing more important than the breach of resistance for example. Really a good teacher (and entertainer) but you have to backtest everything because of the many lies he tells, but I found his course to be worth the bucks absolutely.

10. tango29

tango29

Excellent! I remember hearing ads on The Art Bell radio show when I was driving into work in the really early morning. Art got me through my drive and first hour typing away at work. At the same time I would in no way buy from someone advertising on his show. Ken Roberts was a pretty constant advertiser on the show early on, but I never caved. At the same time I did piss away money on a few of the other b.s. programs out there. I bought a couple commodity trading programs. All made it into the various trade publications as good winning programs, and all were a big pile of crap when traded with actual money.

#10     Jun 27, 2022