Trading grains

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Marsh, Jan 16, 2003.

1. 100 WOOHOO!

I worked on the CBOT grain floor the last or second to last summer before they closed down the midam. I never understood how that place stayed open. 15 guys in pit, all leaning on the railings. It must have taken AT LEAST 2 minutes to deliver market orders there, from the grain room. Then, we you got there, the broker wasn't even in the pits. Market orders filled in 5 minutes, the glory of the midam. Maybe I'll start a thread on the midam to get some other stories.

#61     Mar 26, 2003
  2. Any suggestions as to which grains and softs are day tradable?

Also, any recomendations for futures brokers to trade these grains and softs?

Thanks.

-- ITZ

#62     Mar 26, 2003
  3. josbarr

josbarr

I have a box of free cbot grain guides.
    PM if you're interested.

#63     Mar 26, 2003
  4. Can you chart and trade grains, etc. using just TA? Are these liquid enough to form nice looking charts?

#64     Mar 26, 2003

5. Absolutely. You can definitely use TA to trade the grains. As with any market, it helps if you can combine some knowlkedge with the TA. But I think that the basics of the grain market can be learned if your serious about learning them.

In short, many use TA to trade the grains.

#65     Apr 19, 2003
  6. I heard from friends on the floor that sugar trading has been better lately. They squished the hours from 10-2pm to 9-12 due to space contraints. Check out the volume 20-30k contracts a day. Due to the hours, the trade such as brokers of Nestle, Coke, can't screw around and trading is regular will less dead periods. Nice hours too!

#66     Apr 20, 2003
  7. Wow, soybeans have been rippin things up lately

#67     May 8, 2003
  8. Riskier than pure Calendar spreads. Spreading activities can be easily hidden. Where exactly did you get this information
    most common?

#68     May 18, 2003
  9. All Agricultural Futures and Options on Futures will continue trading by open auction and will begin trading on e-cbot Thursday, January 1, 2004 (trade date January 2, 2004), except for mini-sized Corn, Soybean & Wheat Futures, which will continue to trade by open auction only.

See the following:

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/ecbot/cont_detail/0,2939,817+15175,00.html

#69     Oct 15, 2003