Trading grains

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Marsh, Jan 16, 2003.

1. For me, this is what I am seeing as the opportunities that suit my style of trade. It is also what I remember to be true years ago and as you say, is still true.

Can someone post the dollars per tick for corn, wheat, and beans please? Yes I can look them up, which I will, but I am trying to keep some interest in this thread alive and draw in new particiipants who might say, "yeehaw, I wannabe a grain trader!"

:)

#31     Jan 17, 2003
  2. Corn 4 ticks/cent, 12.50 a tick

#32     Jan 17, 2003
  3. As for the poster who says the MGEX leases are $50/month, where did you find this, I can't seem to find a lease price on the MGEX. I'm assuming this means none are available right now.

#33     Jan 17, 2003
  4. I just spoke tothem last week. Look under memebership info in their site mgex.com. Talk to them about being a delegate. It is less than 75 monthly prepaid 1 year i think

#34     Jan 17, 2003
  5. Thx jaming, I really appreciate it. Welcome to EliteTrader too.

:)

#35     Jan 17, 2003
  6. If you have any other questions on grains, feel free to post them. Once had some experience on the CBOT grain floor, but never did any grain trading myself. Hope I help.

As far as now being a good time to trade grains, I couldn't agree more. Don't follow them very closely myself, but I know of a couple of retired floor traders that went back to trading grains due to favorable hours and market.

#36     Jan 18, 2003
  7. cheeks

cheeks

Can you recommend any books on trading grains. I use to have Schwagers book on Fundamental analysis, but I somehow lost it.:( Not looking for a TA book, but more just background on how the market works, interpreting crop reports etc. I will be trading on TA, but I would like to be able to understand the news enough to gauge the markets reaction to it.

thanks

#37     Jan 18, 2003
  8. bone

bone

According to the MGEX website, March 03 Spring Wheat at the MGEX traded 1800 contracts on Friday, 01/17. Open interest appears to be 14K contracts.

#38     Jan 19, 2003
  9. Sorry, not familiar with many books on grain trading.

#39     Jan 20, 2003
  10. FYI, the following figures refer to volume traded for the march 03 contract.

Soybeans: 44,6 k
    Soybean meal: 18,5 k
    Bean Oil: 16,3 k

Corn: 35,1 k

Wheat:
    - Chicago: 7,8 k
    - Kansas City: 6,1 k
    - Minneapolis: 1,7 k

alberto

#40     Jan 21, 2003