Trading Gaps Ups & Downs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jimclark, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Yes. The idea that you should fade the gap is a fraud. Otherwise, this is still a work in progress.

#11     Feb 25, 2007
  2. pamjoey

pamjoey

I have found that if a stock is up $1 to $2, and moves up immediately after the bell, with a gain of 40 cents, that it will, most of the time, go another 30 to 40 cents higher. These trades move fast, and its usually just a couple a minutes at the most.
    Bought Holx, about 3 weeks ago, at 9:31, out at 9:33, for $3.50 per share gain. If I remember correctly, it was up about $1.50, premarket. Went up another 50 cent on open, and I jumped in,
    Went to a little over $5 above, my entry price, and dropped back down to $3.50, where I sold.
    I have been keeping track of these type stocks for a little over a year, and you can make a profit here, but you must be quick.
    I have only been trading about 14 months, and I am by no means expert, on "trading on the bell", but it seems to work about 75% of the time. My main problem is, my lack of knowledge, & getting the trade executed fast.
    Joey

#12     Feb 26, 2007
  3. Can you expand your explation?

#13     Feb 26, 2007
  4. Maybe later. Why don't you show me something.

#14     Feb 26, 2007
  5. Donkell

Donkell

My main problem is, my lack of knowledge, & getting the trade executed fast.
    Joey
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast should not be a problem with a direct access broker. Who do you use?

don

#15     Feb 27, 2007
  6. Joab

Joab

7. pamjoey

pamjoey

Hi Don,
    I have used Scottrade, slow executions. Now, I am with Ameritrade, not much better. I am looking for a new broker at this time. I am considering cybertrader.
    I realize that scott and ameritrade are not designed to daytrade.
    I have only been trading for 14 months, so I have alot to learn.
    I feel I am making progress, but it is going to take some more time before I become profitable.
    Joey

#17     Feb 27, 2007
  8. pamjoey

pamjoey

Hi Don,
    I forgot to ask you, which broker or brokers have fast execution right when the market opens?
    Thanks,
    Joey

#18     Feb 27, 2007