Trading futures without commissions - Tradovate ?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by CALLumbus, Aug 10, 2016.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Hi all,

has anybody here already heard about Tradovate, or is even trading with them ?

Seems they offer commission free trading in futures. Also no platform fee.
    You have to pay a monthly membership fee (maximum 139$ per month), then you can trade as much as you want.

For example for the emini (ES), the margin is 500$ and you just pay the following fees:
    1.17$ exchange fee, 0.01$ NFA fee and 0.09$ transaction fee (all per side).

So total cost for one roundturn in the emini would be: 2.54$

Thats very low ! Aside from a few prop trading firms in London I dont know any company that offers such low rates.

Did I miss something ? Thx for any input !

Greetings,
    CALLumbus

2. Lee-

Lee-

Sounds good if you're trading at least 170 contracts/mo. I don't have any exp with them, so this is not an endorsement. If trading < 170 contracts and you have at least $10k, AMP actually has better pricing.

3. Tradovate

Tradovate Sponsor

It is great to be on EliteTrader as a sponsor and we look forward to getting to know EliteTrader's members going forward!

Just to clarify, our pricing for unlimited commission-free futures trading starts at $39 per month and our account minimum is $1,000. There are no trading or additional funding minimums to get that pricing, so you simply pick the membership plan that is right for you and can get started with your commission-free trading. Here is a link to see all of our pricing options: https://www.tradovate.com/pricing.

If you have any other questions on how our pricing works or what Tradovate has to offer futures traders, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience: https://www.tradovate.com/contact-us.

CALLumbus likes this.
  4. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Lee, you are right, for a VERY small trader the monthly charge might be higher than what he will save on the RT fees. But for any at least somewhat serious trader, their offer is fantastic. You can trade the bund, bobl or FESX for less than 1 EUR per roundturn ! Thats on the same level that professional prop trading companies in London will offer you for your business. The difference is, in a prop trading company you will pay your X_trader, desk fee and other charges (in sum at least about 1,000 EUR per month) and you will have to split your profits with them.

To me, Tradovate seems to be what any serious retail trader has always waited for.

I just started their platform demo today, and I really like it. Fast, good feel, flexible... could have a few more options and settings here and there, but I guess they will implement more options with future updates.

Wish you all good trading, and a nice evening.
    CALLumbus

5. R1234

R1234

This is quite interesting. Does you platform have exchange supported spread trading on CME and ICE? For example the Dec/Jan Soybean Oil spread.

edit. never mind I looked at your FAQ

6. Tradovate

Tradovate Sponsor

We currently offer outright futures only and have plans to add exchange-traded spreads in the future.

7. CBC

CBC

What order flow fees are we looking at? Also what are the clearing fees / Fcm? Columbus you didn't mention these.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  8. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

@CBC, you can find all their fees per contract here: https://www.tradovate.com/resources/markets/fees/

So as you can see, all the cost per contract you have is only the exchange fee, the NFA fee and a transaction fee (the transaction fee is the same 0.09$ for all symbols). No additional clearing fees or other.

This gives you a very cheap roundturn price in the emini (ES) of 2.54 $. Or on Eurex, you can trade now bunds and bobls for less than 1 EUR per roundturn !

What I also like is that in their Advanced package (139$ per month) the CME market data fees for all 4 exchanges are already included !

Btw, I am not related in any way with Tradovate, in fact it was just yesterday that I read the first time about them. But to me it seems they might be a real game changer in the brokerage business, offering retail traders something unique that many of us have been looking for for a very long time. Like I said before, the cost structure they offer you is very close to what good futures prop trading companies would offer you (in case of Eurex contracts, Tradovate not only gets close, they even get on par with them, because of the structure Eurex charges its exchange fees), without the disadvantages of a prop company (high overhead cost, profit split...).

Greetings,
    CALLumbus

9. CBC

CBC

Still no mention of orderflow. What I'm trying to get at is its real easy to make urself look like a hero with low comms and then charge whatever you feel like in order flow.

Brokers call it "fills". In reality tho they filled it at the right price then change it however they feel like.

Folks ere on ET are a little more savvy than common folk out there on the street.

10. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

CBC, you understand Tradovate is an introducing FUTURES broker, and their FCM is Dorman. This is about futures, your order goes directly to the exchange and thats it. Maybe you confuse this with some Forex or CFD broker ? But again, this is about futures. You are placing your orders with a innovative IB through an FCM with excellent reputation.

#10     Aug 11, 2016
    TraDaToR likes this.