Trading Futures > is it that easy?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by pabmove, Jul 12, 2008.

1. pabmove

pabmove

^ Thank you for being nice. I know what you're trying to say and it good to hear that other traders are looking out for each other!

I know psychology does play a big part but being middle 30ish, I consider myself wiser than most (I hope :)). I certainly know you can lose you shirt when it comes to this kind of investing and I don't plan to let it get that far.

For example, I had a trade, all the signals were there for a strong long, I entered and for the first five minutes, I was up 4 ticks. THEN I got greedy and the trade went against me. I kept the trade 'hoping' the trade will resume up. In the end I was down 10 ticks.

I played with all these good and bad scenarios, really taking the time to go through them and to see if I can improve. Now, for one contract, I make a mental stop of 100 bucks but if I get a positive vibe about the trade, a strict stop of 150 bucks.By, managing my money this way, I seem to be able to control my losses and wins.

Can I say to myself I know what I'm doing? No. I don't think anyone is. But I've tried hard at the simulation, I'm in the black so and I'm prepared to break my cherry or break the bank, so to speak :)

Another thought occurred to me. With my simulation with IB, I can enter and exit a trade quite fast. Here are the details:

I long or short limit order on the last price and I use the IB 'transmit immediately' (without the order ticket popping up) I normally have no problems getting filled, but if it doesn't transmit fast enough, I cancel and submit the order again.

Anyway, can someone tell me if I will be playing with the real thing, would I have problems getting my trades filled?

I know ES is traded electronically so should it matter?

#11     Jul 12, 2008
  2. All I can say is... check out my journal. All of your answers about paper trading and going to real money with index futures will lie within there

#12     Jul 12, 2008
  3. You will get your fill no problem there
    S&P is plenty liquid

#13     Jul 12, 2008
  4. Surdo

Surdo

You have ALL the answers now, you have been trading live for quite some time now!

#14     Jul 12, 2008
  5. Yes trading futures is that easy. Especially if you study Alex from Pureshit.

#15     Jul 12, 2008
  6. stick to 1 contract at least for 6 months. don't even THINK about trading for a "living" for the next 2 years. this is where most people (including myself initially) stuff up even though they might have a profitable system. the pressure to "earn" clouds your judgment (entries/exits). have a career in the mean time and do your best at it. trading should be a "hobby" or a side thing.

Look at trading as solving puzzles. this will help you to to focus on the game instead of the money.

#16     Jul 12, 2008