Trading Future for a living

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Astrologer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Hi
    Well i have decide to trade full time ( only future ES NQ YM ) for a living
    I will be getting laid off in feb so i have decided to jump in to trading
    I like to scalp on the ym and the NQ , and for the ES i like to play accordingly to the Hi and low
    I will be using Stradgey runner ( Global Futures ) as my platform
    I will be starting out with $20K + 2K for expenses and will be looking to make ( or what my target is $2500 a month the 1st 6 month and then on my performance i will try to go higher
    Single 29 years old dont have to worry about family
    how many pll on ET are trading future for a living and any good advice do let me know

2. djxput

djxput

Well good luck ...

Probably the right time to do it (now since you dont have a wife kids etc ...)

although I would probably leave yourself a stop point with your money (incase you dont make it) so you can still pay your rent etc till you get a new job etc ...)

let us know how you do (maybe you want to keep us updated here so we can follow your progress and offer advice etc ...)

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Looks like you already know what to trade and how to trade and planning on a 12% monthly profit, so maybe we should ask you for advice...

4. hello sir

have you backtested or traded with real money ( even better )

your trading methods in the ETF's first?

say 100-200 SPY or 200-400 QQQQ etc

less leverage than futures ... so you will not lose so much at first
    while trying to find an edge

5. me1969

me1969

Man, I doubt 20 grands are enough dough to start trading for a living. Better you look for a new job and save more than 50000 $. Start with trading just one contract over untill you are profitabe for at least 6 month in a row. Successfull traders say you loose in the first year, stay even in the second, and start winning consistently in the third year.

Take care!

Mark

6. *Sigh*

How I wish it had only taken me 3 years to turn net positive. I guess I'm the dull bulb around here.

7. Tums

Tums

agree

8. Tums

Tums

you said it !

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think 20K is enough for a start, but I am curious why the OP thinks he can make 12% monthly right from the start...

I guess if he can make 10 ES a month with 5-6 ctrs, he can achieve that goal, but then again, he should give advice for us...

10. 20K is very a very sufficient amount to start trading futures with. i dont think a 12% monthy return will be hard to pull off at all as long as you can maintain your discipline.

#10     Oct 4, 2006