Trading Fulltime

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Johntrad01, Aug 27, 2019.

1. I have no plans on lying, I want to trade full time in the future and I will be honest about that. I will just contact IB myself before I do quit(when I feel like I’m ready to quit) and tell them that I plan on quitting my job, and need to update my employment info, and how I go about doing that. Thanks

#11     Aug 27, 2019
  2. mm2mm

mm2mm

you wanna be a full time loser in the future and quit your job too while at it ;) good luck

#12     Aug 27, 2019
  3. This seems beyond what is necessary...

#13     Aug 27, 2019
  4. Calling IB to clarify isn’t necessary...or what do you mean. Thanks.

#14     Aug 27, 2019
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

While I know it's not the topic at hand, I'm sure you have a profitable real-time track record going back several years, a system accurately backtested several decades longer than that, an account funded with at least $400,000, 6+ months of savings, etc.

Or are you making the same mistake most people here (including myself long ago) did? In that case, you're probably better off learning how to count cards in blackjack or doing "retail arbitrage" on Amazon or something...

#15     Aug 27, 2019
  6. I don’t know what that mistake would be, I’m still under PDT... who has 400k to find an account? But I know your getting at, “don’t quit your job unless you have enough money in your account and enough for bills/expenses. Etc

#16     Aug 27, 2019
  7. At any time will you be able to update your account data, including employment status. On top of that, once per year IB will contact you and make you review the data they have on file. Your employment status is one of the items they'll make you review.

#17     Aug 27, 2019
  8. isc1746

isc1746

Can always say retired, regardless of age.

#18     Aug 30, 2019
    jl1575 likes this.
  9. S-Trader

S-Trader

If your response is that you're a "self-employed investor/trader," then would that likely result in your paying "professional" exchange data subscription fees vs. "non-professional"?

#19     Aug 31, 2019
  10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Not if your account is an individual account and you are not registered with FINRA or CFTC and do not put yourself out there as a money manager for others. You should be careful what you say on Linkedin. You should also avoid using a corporate email address.

Self-employed investor/trader implies you manage your own money.

#20     Aug 31, 2019
    jl1575 and S-Trader like this.