trading frustration

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by daytr8r, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Valid questions. System traders tend to constantly explore ideas but stick with what they know to work in the immediate term. My theory has been 'quick to test but slow to implement'. There is no harm in learning through testing but learning through trading is most likely going to be expensive.

System trading takes fortitude which is why often the trader only lasts through maxdd's when they have a hand in development and can thus trust the research put into the logic. All too often a system is abandoned not when it breaks down statistically but when it has a relatively short losing period. Enjoy your posts.

#21     Dec 12, 2002
  2. w/out question the last 3-4 weeks have not been the ideal trading environment for most traders (myself included).

#22     Dec 12, 2002
    #23     Dec 12, 2002
  4. Ditch

Ditch

#24     Dec 12, 2002
  5. ******************************************

With all due respect...this is what I mean! You guys refuse to admit this is a rare (hopefully) situation. You mean to tell me that this is a normal market? I'll wager that nobody on these boards have participated in a market like this.

#25     Dec 12, 2002
  6. Ditch

Ditch

I'm participating every day.

#26     Dec 12, 2002
  7. OK bust my hump, I should have said "participated in a market like this... before."

I hope your participating more profitably then most of us. But part of me hates you if you are.:)

#27     Dec 12, 2002
  8. Ditch

Ditch

Well, today I couldn't get anything going so i just quit. Nevertheless just managed to cover the commissions. But honestly i really don't see the problem with the bear market. Just go short as easy as you would go long, presumed you trade an instrument that facilitates that. Or am i wrong?

#28     Dec 12, 2002
  9. I agree with you ditch. We have to adapt to the market we're given., and sometimes it is better just to call it a day. I'm basically beating out a buck or two here and there; but, all in all, I think I'm trading better. The market conditions have made me re-think my strategy and choose my trades more wisely. When the market does turn, I think I'll have a better edge.

#29     Dec 12, 2002
  10. *******************************

That's the thing..I do have a short strategy. Stocks that gap down and then make new lows. But even that is not working. So I've devised a futures strategy, but it only makes 30 or points per month (on paper) with slippage and commissions, but assuming perfect execution. And sense I can't even spell wright....I don't think I should bother...should I?
    :)

PS: I hate smiley faces:)

#30     Dec 12, 2002