"Trading from your gut" by curtis faith-a MUST read!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by increasenow, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I have looked into this quite a bit. Even met Flavia Cymbalista. She actually interviewed the great George Soros...

very hard to make it work, can be quite deadly in trading.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/stocks/commentary/satinterview/01312005-42195.cfm

"This all seems very mystical. How does your body know these things?

Flavia: We are constantly absorbing and digesting information. We are doing that all the time on a subliminal level. We are only conscious of a very small part of that information. That’s explicit knowledge, the knowledge that we have articulated,
    and with which we reason logically â€" just a little part of all we know. The rest is subliminal; it’s stays in the background. When something in the situation violates our experiential knowledge, the body complains. That is when you have
    that funny feeling.

#11     Jan 27, 2011
  2. Great article thanks! <b>Dave Goodboy</b> is one crazy smart and connected guy. He use to post here --- but apparently got greedy and was banned.

per your post-- so can algorithms and quant stuff be quite deadly in trading.

good luck!

:D

#12     Jan 27, 2011
  3. yes I think dave goodboy was market surfer for the longest time here, some believe he is still here under a different name -:)

well, I think gut feel trading can be deadly if the trader is not free and clear of psychological impediments etc...long story..

#13     Jan 27, 2011

4. No question about it.

#14     Jan 27, 2011
  5. I'm very surprised to hear that someone that started out trading a very mechanical, quantified strategy is now promoting gut-feel and intuition. What success I have had over the last several years is entirely due to ignoring my intuition and feelings, which more often than not get me into trouble, and focusing on what has been proven to work. It seems to work for some but I suspect intuition and feel is what gets most of the unsuccessful traders into trouble.

#15     Jan 27, 2011
  6. drcha

drcha

Maybe it sells books. People want to think they can feel/fake their way through things. Surely that should make us feel smarter than following a set of rules or a bunch of little squiggly lines on a chart. What did I read recently that claims the best traders are those in the sales profession--isn't that what those guys do to make a sale--feel and fake their way along, trying to say the right thing to the prospective buyer?

I have read the book. He does not advocate trading entirely from your gut, only to combine it with other methods.

The book may be of great use to someone, but not to me. My gut is too stupid to trade. My brain is too stupid to trade. But my mechanical systems, yes, they are capable of it :)

#16     Jan 27, 2011
  7. Oh yeah, a regular Vic Niederhoffer... :p

#17     Jan 27, 2011
  8. #18     Jan 28, 2011
  9. It is also deadly if the trader have not put in enough focused screen time to developed the intuitive gut feel for the market.

I don't trade against my gut, I also don't trade on gut alone.

#19     Feb 3, 2011
  10. Ash1972

Ash1972

Curtis Faith is talking out of the rear end of his gut, that's all.

#20     Feb 3, 2011