Trading from west coast sucks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemeeeplay, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I think PST is the worst time zone for trading.

Any other west coast traders having problems with time zone issues: sleepless nights, having to get up 5 AM every day, groggy and tired by mid day?

If I wasn't stuck with my day job, I'd move to the east coast in a heartbeat.

2. MGJ

MGJ

Maybe you're trading the wrong instruments or the wrong granularity. Have a look at the commodity futures in Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo, Osaka, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, and Seoul. EOD data is ready for downloading at 8AM Pacific, you can take your sweet time doing the analysis (think: on your lunchbreak), and get your orders placed before the open, which is 1330 PST in the summertime and 1530 in the winter.

I actually think the least desirable timezones for EOD trading are the ones in far eastern Canada: the Atlantic timezone (EST+1) and the Newfoundland timezone (EST+2). They don't get their EOD downloads until 2130 or 2230 at night. No beer after work, no wine with dinner, for those traders.

3. I actually love the PST trading. I have to get up around 5am, but I do anyway (since I'm a 50+ old f*ck ...) I can setup my trades before work and on days off if I trade, I can turn the screens off at 1:00 and be done for the day.

Works for me. :)