Trading FROM offshore

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JS11374, Jan 14, 2002.

  1. Simba


    Does the IRS have jurisdiction of a U.S. Resident Alien (NOT a U.S. citizen) trading from outside the U.S. (even if the account is with a U.S. broker)???
    :confused: :)
    #101     Oct 6, 2002
  2. A "U.S. Resident Alien" - by definition - is a US resident! As such, he is subject to US taxation on his world-wide income. Very easy.
    #102     Oct 6, 2002
  3. not true.

    permanent resident, yes. resident alien, no.
    #103     Oct 7, 2002
  4. graeco

    graeco Guest

    If you have been granted legal residence then uncle sam owns you even if you have gone back to your country of origin.The IRS will probably require that you get something from us immigration which says that you have lost your residency.Otherwise they will continue to demand their cut.If you are paying taxes to a tax treaty country then it can be arranged that you dont pay double.
    #104     Oct 7, 2002
  5. As long as you keep your "US residency" - you pay taxes in the US. By the way: why not ask the IRS? They could tell you! No need to guess around!
    #105     Oct 7, 2002
  6. You want an opinion from the most inaccurate source of tax law?

    Get a competent tax attorney ...
    #106     Oct 8, 2002
  7. taxes on your US income, yes. taxes on income from outside US - as resident alien, you would truly be an idiot to declare it, regardless of what the irs says.
    #107     Oct 9, 2002