trading from laptop internationally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by propslave, Dec 13, 2010.

1. So I'm finally where I want to be with my trading - making a steady income and now able to travel abroad and trade.

Before I trade overseas I want to upgrade my laptop, so I'm interested in hearing what type of computer you guys would buy if you were in my position?

I've been looking at the i7 17.3" screen laptops... but not sure if I really need all the bells and whistles.

any help is appreciated

2. I have a HP dv8t 1100 (i7 720QM), 18" screen. I enjoy the faster speed and bigger screen. Not just for trading but also just about everything I do on a laptop - surf the net, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc..

But HP laptops are not as reliable. I got mine in May 2010 and had sent for a repair once already - hard drive and screen problems. If you want a more robust laptop, IBM thinkpad series are more robust. I used one as a former company-assigned laptop and had no problem experienced for a few years. Their prices are a bit higher, geared for more corporate professionals.

When you travel the weakest link is the network throughput you can have in your hotel/place-to-stay. Your i7 box is not going to help you if your network speed is only 1 Mbps or something like that. Especially in hotels with only wifi and incompetent tech support staff. It is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolate - you never know what you are going to get until you get there. And that is one component you cannot control. Perhaps staying in more reputable hotels - especially those marketed to travelling professionals.

Most laptops' power supply can take 110-240V. But you need to have some international power adapters to make sure you have a 2-leg socket for your plug. If you bring any accessories - such as external hard drive and such, you do need to accommodate the voltage difference for those devices.