Trading from Gibraltar as a UK resident

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BaconSandwich, Mar 23, 2019.

1. A quick random question - I've not had the chance to look into this with my Broker yet so I thought I'd drop it here in case anyone was in the same position. I will of course get in touch with the broker on Monday when they open!

As a UK resident, who will be moving to Gibraltar for 'cough - personal reasons', do you know if this would affect the ability to access and freely trade a UK registered account, which at the time was indeed created in the UK with a UK based broker.

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory and headland, so i'd like to hope that any restrictions or hurdles are going to be minimal.

2. Overnight

Overnight

I guess it depends on which side of the rock you woke up on. Gibraltar is a big one. :)

3. Indeed it is, i'd like to hope that i'll be on both sides after a good night out (the rock that is...). Here's to hoping anyway...

CSEtrader likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I also wanted to point out how silly this question is...

Mr. Bacon, there really are not many people here who are UK residents who decide to move to Gibraltar. It really isn't something the ET forum sees on a daily, or monthly, or forever basis! LOL!

I believe yer the first one!

5. luisHK

luisHK

Not sure whether Overnight post above is a joke but there are actually a few ETers who have done an identical move , some for shorter periods than others.
    I'd guess hurdles would be minimal, and if necesary there would be other brokers to transfer the account to.

BaconSandwich and d08 like this.
  6. Probably not, just a short sighted arrogant view...

I'd have imagined this would be the case, not so much because of the tax haven re. capital gains - but more so for the industry which they recruit for - typical of data analysts, commercial, finance and data science with many well paid contracts up for the taking...

7. Turveyd

Turveyd

You can trade a UK account being from the UK I believe in any part of the world that has internet and no IP blocking / anti trading laws, even then a VPN would get around that.

Nice place, but tiny and I'd imaging expensive housing wise ( Pizza Hut same price mind LOL ) being so small and the good weather and a spainish holiday only 5min walk across an airport away!!

BaconSandwich likes this.
  8. Yes, it's on a par with London rates should you want to rent in Gibraltar, with rent rising steadily each year due to property being a finite commodity there and focus on luxury apartments - but who would have expected anything else as one of the most [upcoming, as reported] wealthiest & affluent places in the world.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  9. Turveyd

Turveyd

Makes sense similar foot print might aswell get max cash.

Too hot to leave the house mid summer, North spain more suitable and my plan.

10. Right - turns out there is no problem with trading a UK account from this country...apart from having to walk over the runway at Gibraltar Airport to actually get to the offices (and local amenities); I like that idea actually.

Never played 'chicken' with a Boeing 737, just cars in the UK when crossing the road.

This could take some adjusting

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    #10     Mar 27, 2019