Trading from a laptop + multi monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr J, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jokepie

jokepie

I am not sure, but laptops with VGA and HDMI usually throw same output on both connectors ??? Has any one ACTUALLY used them in a extended desktop format ???

#21     Dec 31, 2010
  2. I just took delivery of a DELL M6500 laptop workstation with two additional screens via a docking station.

It is somewhat expensive, but powerful enough for the analysis work I do. Works great as a general workstation and as a trading workstation, is heavy for travel, and I love it.

I got away with this expensive a purchase with my wife because I was profitable in my trading the past several months. She gave in grudgingly. But no other holiday gifts were forthcoming. :eek:

#22     Jan 1, 2011
  3. Mr J

Mr J

It's standard. A laptop that can support an external monitor already supports two displays (monitor + laptop screen). A second external output will just replace the laptop screen.

#23     Jan 1, 2011
  4. Question: If i have a laptop with HDMI and VGA output, can I have two monitors running off the laptop in extend mode doing this?:

Laptop screen disabled (closed)
    Monitor #1 (a vga monitor) connected to vga output
    Monitor #2 ( a dvi monitor) connected to HDMI output with
    hdmi to dvi adapter

#24     Jan 1, 2011
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

#25     Jan 1, 2011
  6. #26     Jan 1, 2011
  7. Beware that unless you use a docstation, most laptops are equipped with some contact switches of some sort that when you close the laptop screen it will put the computer in sleep mode.

#27     Jan 1, 2011
  8. I concur with Mr. J. I just did an experiment with my own setup.

I have a HP dv8t 1100 laptop. It has 1 VGA port and 1 HDMI port on the left side. I hooked them up with 2 different monitors. Basically you can have 2 of the 3 displays. Laptop screen + VGA screen. Or laptop screen + HDMI screen. You can do the VGA screen + HDMI screen combination too... then your laptop screen will go black automatically.

I think it has to do with the video chip/card inside the laptop, which can only support up to 2 screens, regardless of what video connectors are used.

If you hook up a docstation to it, I suspect it's the same thing: 2 screens at any given time. I don't believe there is any video chip/card circuitary inside a docstation.

#28     Jan 1, 2011
  9. Did you try it with an HDMI to DVI adapter? I dont have an HDMI monitor.

Also if you do the above set up with one of those USB adapters could you get a third screen going?

Thanks for your input Bolimomo.

#29     Jan 1, 2011
  10. #1) Did you try it with an HDMI to DVI adapter?

No I hooked my laptop's HDMI output to a plasma TV directly. (The TV takes HDMI inputs). But it doesn't matter because the HDMI-to-DVI adapter is a straight wire connection without any conversion. DVI just takes the video signals portion of the HDMI interface. The signals are the same.

quote:

A DVI signal is electrically compatible with the video part of an HDMI signal; no signal conversion is required when an adapter or asymmetric cable is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.[3] As such, HDMI is backward-compatible with single-link Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) as used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards.

end-quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

#2) Also if you do the above set up with one of those USB adapters could you get a third screen going?

Yes I use a third monitor screen hooked up to my laptop through a SIIG USB-to-VGA gadget everyday. I am sure I can hook up a fourth (or even fifth) screen to my laptop if I want to.

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-000071-S1

#30     Jan 1, 2011