Trading from a laptop + multi monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr J, Aug 17, 2010.

1. had so many crashes on triplehead thru my laptop I just bought a quad PC and gave on it.

I ran the tests from the Matrox site to check my videocard was suitable and everything passed. I made sure I had the latest drivers etc. When it worked it was great but when it crashed you have to reboot everything so if you trade off small time frames it is a non starter in my experience.

#11     Aug 18, 2010
  2. Ok. Sorry. No offense meant. I just thought most who trade now use auto programs well anyway. Goodluck!

#12     Aug 18, 2010
  3. t482

t482

A bunch of the traders use the matrox device(s) here.

We tested the usb devices and didn't go there.

Again - least problem will be using 2 huge displays and screen splitting software. Second is the Matrox

#13     Aug 18, 2010
  4. Mr J

Mr J

I.e. a couple of 30 inchers? I'm not on a minimal budget, but I can't justify spending $3400 (what the Dells cost here) on a couple of bigscreens when I could spend another $250 for four 22 inchers.

Looking at Dell, the 13z, m101z, 14z and probably a 15 inch model all have two video outputs. A quick look at Asus shows a similar picture. The only matter now is ensuring that whatever system I choose isn't a snail. I've had my software on a pentium M chip before and 2 gigs of ram, so I doubt performance is going to be a problem.

I am wondering about size though, whether an 11 inch screen might be too small? I prefer my main trading window to take up an entire 22 inch screen, so I'm thinking a 13-14 inch screen would be more comfortable. Maybe even a 15 inch screen, but I have no idea of the difference between carrying 1.5kg, 2kg or 2.5kg laptops. I do have a Dell Inspiron 9400 from 4+ years ago that I wouldn't want to lug around, and that's 3.5-4kg.

#14     Aug 18, 2010
  5. anarcho

anarcho

It seems if mobility is the reason you want to use a laptop then you should be reducing the number of screens you use. A laptop with 1920x1200 resolution and a 30 inch screen (2560x1600) will give you the viewing space of more than 3 and a half 22 inch monitors. A laptop with that resolution will have to be 17 inch but you could always get a MacBook Pro which only weighs 2.99kg.

I switched from a desktop computer and 4 24 inch monitors to a MacBook Pro and a 30 inch monitor and am happy to be done with the monitors stands and millions of wires.

#15     Aug 18, 2010
  6. mokwit

mokwit

I have been looking at running multi monitors off a laptop. In addition to the Matrox, USB, and highly expensive Digital tigers sidecar or Vtech box there is also MAY be this for running a X1 quad such as NVS440/20 or ATI firemV 2400 (note: max power for boxes of 36 watts is same as one 2d quad head graphic card and may not even run graphic cards):

http://www.amazon.com/Express-2PCIE...TF8&coliid=I14PJV373X0A2H&colid=2ECQDSUVX7TD2

Add four external I/O expansion card slots to a desktop or laptop computer system. StarTech.com's innovative PCI/PCI Express Expansion Chassis provides a quick and simple solution to I/O expandability on almost any PCI Express (PCIe) enabled system. Adding external PCI and PCIe slots to a server/workstation or laptop, this cost-effective and time-saving method of simply adding additional PCI/PCIe cards to a server/workstation or providing a platform to be able to swap PCI/PCIe add-in cards between a mobile and desktop setup is the optimal method of maximizing the I/O capabilities of new or existing systems.

The external expansion chassis adds two full length (38cm) PCI slots (32-bit/33MHz) as well as two PCIe x1 (single lane) slots to the host computer system, through a single PCI Express connection. Providing total bandwidth of up to 250MBps from the x1 PCIe host controller card, which allows the host computer to function as though the cards in the expansion chassis were connected directly to the motherboard.

For mobile applications, the Expansion Chassis can be connected to an ExpressCard enabled laptop using StarTech.com's ExpressCard connection cable (EC2PCI), which adds the same functionality offered by the Expansion Chassis to a laptop. This eliminates the expense and need of having to purchase different card adapters for the laptop. The Expansion Chassis is a dependable I/O expansion solution.

and this PCI only so any card will likely be l8imited to 1600/1200 in digital but can run higher resolutions in anolog

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Four-Expansion-PEX2PCI4/dp/B000UZL1GC/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I would have thought that hooking up a graphic card to a PCIe slot is just a cabling and enclosure job -almost a DIY job - as confirmed by the prices of these assuming they work, but maybe the high price of digital Tigers and Vtech products suggests there is more to it than that..............

#16     Aug 18, 2010
  7. Mr J

Mr J

I like my windows larger than most, so it's more an issue of physical screen area than of resolution, and quad 22" provide quite a bit more physical area than dual 30". There's also a significant difference in price, especially given that I already have three 22". It's something I'd consider when replacing my current monitors, but a bit hard for me to justify on preference alone.

Interesting mokwit.

#17     Aug 19, 2010
  8. LeeD

LeeD

9. #19     Dec 31, 2010
  10. I haven't, but... $29.99... what the heck... just try it.

One thing that I don't like about these gadgets - I have a few other makes of USB-to-VGA... resolution 1600 x 1200. Just not quite enough for the 22" monitors (and above) with 1920x1080 resolution (the 1080p standard). That extra 300 lines...

#20     Dec 31, 2010