Trading from a Cruise Ship

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by hedgeyourbets, Nov 15, 2005.

1. I am a Network Engineer my self, but I have never worked with satellites. Yes, I hear latency would be a problem, which could cause constant TCP resets. But that would mostly affect download of larger files. I've heard that they are planning on implementing TCP accelerators though... Even if the connectivity is somewhat slow, I want to know if it's still stable enough...

#11     Nov 15, 2005
  2. mss

mss

I did it on a Carnival ship in the Caribbean two years ago next March. I paid several hundred dollars for a package of access time. I set up my home system every morning using a remote access program (vnc with radmin as a backup) and checked the trades before the close every day. I had an automatic trading program on my home pc.

They only had fast access in some lounge area and I did not like working with other people around. Also, the connection was unavailable or very slow from time to time. I gave up after three days. My home system worked flawlessly, however, and I think I covered the cost of the vacation although my memory may be faulty. I took a cruise this past March and did not try to trade.

#12     Nov 15, 2005
  3. LOL, I'm picturing some drunken fat guy in a hawaiian shirt shoulder surfing you in the high speed access lounge.

"Hey buddy, whatcha doin'? Day tradin'?"

#13     Nov 15, 2005
  4. how?

details,,,

share your pain, and together we will grow in strength.....

((quote from Sybok,,, Spock's older brother))

#14     Nov 15, 2005
  5. "the connection was unavailable or very slow from time to time"...
    Were you referring to the connection you get from your cabin or the Internet cafe? I hear the cabin's set up is somewhat different (56K dial-up modem to the satellite)...

#15     Nov 15, 2005
  6. mss

mss

I was referring to the satellite connection from the internet lounge.

#16     Nov 15, 2005
  7. LMAO. Ozzy is the man.

#17     Nov 15, 2005
  8. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

I've traded whilst on a surf board. It's an experience to say the least. I was on some big surf in 2000 when i did this, and, i was also holding my pinacolada. I've never really fancied doing it on a cruise ship since then.

#18     Nov 15, 2005
  9. Thanks for bumping up my thread with a useless comment...

#19     Nov 15, 2005
  10. plugger

plugger

You're going on vacation. Close your positions. Enjoy yourself.

#20     Nov 15, 2005