Trading For Living - S&P 500 Market.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Trading4Living, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Thanks Becky for posting your trading technique. I think you have provided the foundation of your system here and anyone involved in trading should have a pretty good idea of when to enter a trade. I'm glad you decided to continue posting and I look forward to your journal entries documenting your success.

In regards to the A/D factor from Qcharts, it could be similar to a simple formula like this one.

A/D Factor = (A/D - 1) X 3333 for advancers greater than decliners.

A/D Factor = -1 X((D/A - 1) X3333) for decliners greater than advancers.

For example:

A=55% and D=45% yields A/D factor of 740
    A=66% and D=34% yields A/D factor of 3137
    A=75% and D=25% yields A/D factor of 6666
    A=80% and D=20% yields A/D factor of 10000

You can adjust the 3333 scaling factor to your liking in order to raise or lower the result.

I would also like to thank DonKee for posting the PP fade technique. It made some nice money on Friday. Way to go DK.

Great trades everyone!

#291     Aug 31, 2008
  2. on page 25 of this journal, I posted a formula for lines that mimicked (in terms of formations, zigs zags, peaks and troughs) the values that were shown for this "AD" indicator.

this could be verified if someone could just take the time to post this indicator for a specific date on a chart with a time line across the bottom (5min bars), then I could look at the values (an obvious peak and a trough, each with a labelled value) and compare it to the outcome of the formula listed below, it would become obvious whether the formula mimicks the index or not.
    Afterall, it is just relative values.

here's the formula I posted back on page 25,
    and no one,
    not one single person bothered to post a screen shot of the e-signal ad index indicator with a date, time line and a peak and a trough labeled.

((NYSE advancers - NYSE decliners) / (NYSE advancers + NYSE decliners)) *10000

(Tthis is simple and basic and the 2 times I have seen this esignal indicator posted, it mimics the plot of the indicators and lines, but the values I cannot tell for sure. The multiplier brings the ratio's decimal numbers into whole numbers)

It should be obvious to anyone that if the ad index indicator referenced in esignal by OP is producing values above the total combined number of issues traded, that is not simply an addition of advancers minus decliners for one or even all three major exchanges.

#292     Sep 1, 2008
  3. comfut

comfut

Yes, DonKee...nice easy 4-5 handle trade. Thanks.

Re: the adv/dec indicator from Becky. Thanks in advance to whoever figures it out. I suspect that Becky never provided the details of what it is, as she herself probably doesn't know (i'm not slamming Becky in any way, being a profitable trader is much more important than knowing how an indicator is derived).

Maybe Becky could either post the symbol on e-sig or post a chart with times, so someone can just match it up.

Thanks again, Don!

#293     Sep 1, 2008
  4. expected to go long at 1301.75

I will try to post the advdec chart today after trading

#294     Sep 2, 2008
  5. I am in... long @ 1301.75

#295     Sep 2, 2008
  6. DonKee

DonKee

Do you have any statistics as to the p/l of the trades you take when the es opens up or down beyond 1% of the previous close?

#296     Sep 2, 2008
  7. Lost 6 points today, Even tho I was 1 tick a way from winning my 2 points. But that's trading.

#297     Sep 2, 2008
  8. Ouch! A $3900 loss (6 points x $50 x 13 contacts). More than half a month's profits gone in one trade. Am I right that this is your first loss since March?

#298     Sep 2, 2008
  9. I think if you add TRIN with the AD your winning % will be much higher. If TRIN > 1, short only and if TRIN < 1, long only. Today the TRIN has been over 1 since the open.

Just a thought.

#299     Sep 2, 2008
  10. Yes first loss since march

#300     Sep 2, 2008