Trading For Living - S&P 500 Market.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Trading4Living, Jun 29, 2008.

1. JB3

JB3

Good trading to you. Forget all the negativity and epeen comparison contest in most of these threads.

What happens when the trade goes against you after entry? What is your exit strategy or stoploss levels during a loss?

I find out the most about a trader when they talk about their losing trades and how they managed them.

#181     Jul 17, 2008
  2. uhmmmm HELLO...will you be gracing our forms with your unique methods again?

I sooooo apologize to all that this shill is female...if she is not then I take back my apology.

#182     Jul 23, 2008
  3. I am sorry I decided not to post here any more.

#183     Jul 23, 2008
  4. What criteria do you use to "avoid choppy days?"

I would be a millionaire already if I had such a filtering system.

Share it with me and I'll buy you an expensive bottle of wine when my account reaches $1M.

edit - Aw crap I just saw the post above this one. You couldn't have waited 2 more hours to answer my question and then decide to not post here anymore? :(

#184     Jul 23, 2008
  5. Becky Biggs , I tried to Pm you , but looks like your box is full

Dirk Digler

#185     Jul 23, 2008
  6. I'm in agreement with OldTrader,

I have been trading since I was 18, and there are 2 distinct problems I have seen with Becky's logic:

1) Using the Advance / Decline line to predict future price movement is dangerous. EXTREMELY dangerous.

Many times Market makers use this data to whack daytraders.

2) If Becky can discern what days will be choppy and which days will not be choppy, then she is simply clairvoyant as in my past over 10 years of trading that is impossible to ascertain.

There may be a reason Becky has gone silent:

Fraud.

Take care everyone, best trading to you,

RetiredAt29

#186     Jul 23, 2008
  7. SteveH

SteveH

Retiredat29,

From a statistical point of view, it's pretty clear what's going on here. She has an extremely high winning pct because her avg win/loss ratio is so low (aka payoff ratio). That is, she's willing to give up around 2 to 3 wins for every 1 loss on average. This comes from using a large stop loss with the majority of backlashes on the initial momentum not triggering her stop-out criteria.

It doesn't seem very far-fetched to me to expect a super high pct of trades to go your way on the ES if you're looking for 2 pts on high momentum and willing to give up 6 or 7 occassionally and then the 5 pt win here and there to pull that avg loss into the 5-6 pt region.

As far as the A/D line goes, that also doesn't seem out of line with how she uses it. If the A/D line is going to be faded to "fakeout" traders watching it, then it's going to go super high or low on the open and then go to the other way usually within the 1st hour of the day. She allow the A/D to settle out to determine whether the market has a higher pct chance of sustaining a bullish or bearish tonality.

The reason she's not posting so much is also obvious. Who wants to keep a journal and constantly be exposed to negative criticism? I certainly would not.

My opinion is that Trading4Living is on the up-and-up. She can continue to do what she's doing so long as her winning pct. stays in the 80%+ area with that low of a payoff ratio. If she drops below there, she won't make it (e.g., trade for a living) with the system she's using.

#187     Jul 27, 2008
  8. Thoughtful response Steve. However "look at me I won 2 pts today" is not a journal. All "she" seemed to want to do is draw attention to her blog where she promoted her "system" and solicited money. There are a number of journals on ET that are not flamed because the intent is to be honest and a true journey in the trading world.

#188     Jul 27, 2008
  9. SteveH

SteveH

Richard,

Right. I'm certainly not vouching for anyone's character here.

I think the progression in this case is not starting from something that doesn't work and fooling others into "buying" it. I think it's more that Becky does indeed have something that works out to a positive expectancy and her contract size is accounting for her ability to make enough to live off of. However, the losses in this kind of system are big when they do occur and the easiest way to compensate for that is to sell others on the system so that their payment(s) can help to offset those losses.

Personally, I couldn't do that. I would rather make my money from the markets and, if I want to make more of it, I know full well that all I have to do is raise my contract size and continue to trade consistently with my positive edge.

#189     Jul 28, 2008
  10. I've been getting tons of PM's from people asking me to post my trades back and to ignore all the insults that I get.

I stopped posting because I was spending time here and all I was getting is hate. Now since there are tons of people still interested I will post my trades again.

Even better, I will post my trades live as I place them I will post the prices, entry and exit as I trade this way I am sure all ET A-Holes will shut the hell up.

Cheers :D
    Becky

#190     Aug 23, 2008