Trading For Living - S&P 500 Market.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Trading4Living, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Here's what your opening post said in your thread:

From this we learn you've been a part-time trader for a year, who cannot follow a plan, have decided trading is not for you, and that you're quitting. Evidently you have not reached a "successful" level (you heard it takes 5 years).

Again, given this, I wonder why it is you are expressing with such confidence what works and what doesn't. If I were you, rather than showing my stupidity, I would be trying to learn what works and what doesn't, since you clearly don't know yourself. You'd be better off keeping your mouth shut, and your eyes and mind open. However, it appears there's little chance of that.

Either way, it makes no difference to me how you trade. I'm not trying to convince anyone here to use the A/D. It's only context, as I already said.

OldTrader

#141     Jul 1, 2008
  2. clacy

clacy

Ouch..........Busted!

#142     Jul 2, 2008
  3. Hey Oldtrader

According to NYSE the correct total of listed companies is 3244

I will look into the other stats. Its a good thing to know for other purposes.

Thanks for your comments

Steve

#143     Jul 2, 2008
  4. Maybe it's your age. You just don't absorb. Let me repeat

Number 3 that you are missing.

3. Humor="I recall reading a thread of yours where you were quitting" You don't see sense of humor. Maybe the concept is alien to you. If I quit, do I have to announce it on the Internet?

When you get senile, nothing can help you.

#144     Jul 2, 2008
  5. Just a small point, but according to Barrons, every day last week we traded more than 3244. So I would guess that number is out of date.

Here's a link to Barrons. Scroll down to NYSE Composite Daily Breadth:

http://online.barrons.com/public/page/mlab_trading_diary.html

You can also review the NYSE Common only statistics at the same link.

OldTrader

#145     Jul 2, 2008
  6. No, I don't see any humor at all in your posts. Here's one you posted just today....was this also an example of humor?

By the way, you don't have to post you're quitting on the internet. But you did. LOL.

When you're a moron, nothing can help you.

OldTrader

#146     Jul 2, 2008
  7. T4L,
    during RTH, could you please take a screenshot of the adv-decl indicator AND please include a time line along the bottom so I can see how the numbers correlate with other datasource at specific times.

If anyone out there has same feed (Esignal) as Trade4Living, could you post this A/d indicator identifying the specific trade day date, along with a time-line, just a few 5minute bars would be all I need as ling as I have the date and the timestamps, general value of a-d index.

#147     Jul 2, 2008
  8. neke

neke

Have you considered the software could be compiling statistics from all the major exchanges (NYSE+Nasdaq+Amex)? Nasdaq has more than 3000 companies

#148     Jul 2, 2008
  9. neke,
    I wondered about the same thing.

I looked at total issues traded for the past week for each of the markets and just wrote down some ballpark numbers.

NASDAQ 3030
    AMEX 1300
    NYSE 3280

these are total issues traded, not just common stock.

sum of all three (just ballpark) about 7600.

If this adv-decl index available can print levels like 10,000, then it has to be modified in some way, not necessarilly giving an absolute difference between advancers and decliners.

I fooled around with the following equation based solely on the NYSE adv and decliners.

Esignal might be using an equation something like this, with a multiplier to insure whole numbers (if the adv-decl index referenced is exclusively NYSE based, the following formula would produce numbers akin to those mentioned in the thread).

((NYSE advancers - NYSE decliners) / (NYSE advancers + NYSE decliners)) *10000

attached is chart showing yesterday in 5 minute bars.

formula above is represented in the subchart.

does anyone out there have this adv-decl index from ESignal? If so, can you tell me are these numbers anywhere close?

use the high in the adv-decl index (-2366) just before the morning decline.

use the low in the adv-decl index (-5769), the lowest point after noon to tell me if there is a ballpark here?

#149     Jul 2, 2008
  10. Nice...... dumbass

#150     Jul 2, 2008