Trading For Living - S&P 500 Market.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Trading4Living, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Maybe if you read the posts again you will see that I said I wait for the ADV/DEC to reach a certain level as my main tool then I wait for price action to confirm before I trade..

#131     Jul 1, 2008
  2. Here is a screen shot of the a/d issues see it reached the 4500 that day so stop saying it has a maximum if 3000 I dunno what a/d ur talking about...

also that day I knew the market was going down by just watching the a/d in the first 10 mins thanks to the a/d chart then the price followed the a/d action. so guess what it's not lagging

oh well...

screen shot attached.

#132     Jul 1, 2008
  3. wow did you get that on your own?

#133     Jul 1, 2008
  4. ammo

ammo

there was another website i went on a couple years back and all they did was bitch about who was right and who was wrong,trading and making money was secondary,all you bitches get back in your yard,there are plenty of sites where you can go and be worthless and appreciated at the same time. If i came on here and told you i traded long or short that day depending on which corner my dog walked to first and whether she took one dump or 2 this morning,you would bitch,if i said 2 dumps on the north corner was a trending up and 1 dump was just a higher close and it worked you would all be asking what my dog did this morning,so shut the f### up and wait for op to give an example, if it works we will have a trend day indicator right here on et, if it doesn't you can go back to your bitchin

#134     Jul 1, 2008
  5. Let me see if I can clarify this for you. On the NYSE there is a total of something like 3200 issues that trade on any given day. For instance, today, 3287 issues traded.

Obviously some issues advance, and some decline. A few are unchanged. Today at the close we had 1321 Advancers on the NYSE, 1867 Decliners, and 84 unchanged.

So when you come up with a number like 4500, 6000, or even 10,000 that you mentioned in one post, it doesn't seem to relate to the basic data that it comes from.

For that reason, it would be helpful if you could explain what makes up your A/D chart, so that I could have a better understanding of what you're looking at.

Not trying to bust your chops. Just looking for some understanding.

OldTrader

#135     Jul 1, 2008
  6. Here's what gets me about this post of yours. I've been trading for several decades, successfully. One of the things I look at is the A/D line. I didn't say it was the only thing, but it's one thing. I said it provides context for price action.

Now, I recall reading a thread of yours where you were quitting, or said you were. Evidently you were fairly unsuccessful. And yet, here you are telling me all about the A/D.

It seems to me you should be reading, questioning, not opinionating. Because whatever you believe evidently does not work. What am I missing here?

OldTrader

#136     Jul 1, 2008
  7. For a long time now, more than 50% of the NYSE so-called "stocks" are actually preferreds (that act like bonds), closed end bonds funds, foreign stock ADR's and REITS. This is why the number of advancing or declining issues can exceed the number of "operating companies" known to be around 3200 or so.

Frankly I don't expect Becky to know this, but some of you big shots should otherwise why would you folks be so vocal in your criticism of her system?

#137     Jul 1, 2008
  8. Becky, sorry to get off topic here but....just out of curiosity, how many people have visited your blog since Mark posted the link and how many requests have you had for "coaching" your technique?

I'm not being judgemental here (in fact I think you're rather clever in the way you went about this whole little process), I just want to know what kind of traffic elitetrader posts such as yours generate.

Thank you

#138     Jul 1, 2008
  9. Let me tell you what you are missing:

1. Death="I've been trading for several decades" You don't see death is waiting around the corner. How old are you?

2. Waste="One of the things I look at is the A/D line" You don't see A/D is a redundant correlation of market action. You have been wasting your time.

3. Humor="I recall reading a thread of yours where you were quitting" You don't see sense of humor. Maybe the concept is alien to you. If I quit, do I have to announce it on the Internet?

4. Erroneous judgement="Evidently you were fairly unsuccessful" You don't see the standard/definition of being successful.

5. Arrogance="here you are telling me all about the A/D" You don't see your own arrogance. A public forum is a two-way communication tool, not one-way: from you to others only. Even JosephStalinAdolphHitler had advisors.

6. Freedom of speech="It seems to me you should be reading, questioning, not opinionating" You don't see other people can say what they like to say on the Internet, First Amendment right.

7. Hallucination="Because whatever you believe evidently does not work" Actually what I believe works.

#139     Jul 1, 2008
  10. Steve:

Don't know if this post was directed at me, since I first used the number "3200". In any event, I've been careful not be critical of Becky's system. In fact, I don't really know what her system is.

However, as to the NYSE A/D statistics, the total is 3200. This includes both operating and non-operating companies.

Of the total 3200 stocks, about 1700 are common stocks only as shown in Barrons. So this would not include things like preferreds. The best estimate of operating companies only is about 1200.

However, when you see the A/D intraday, or you look at it as reported on a quote provider like E-Signal, they are looking at total NYSE stocks....that 3200 number, which includes everything.

OldTrader

#140     Jul 1, 2008