Trading for a Living - the journey to self discovery

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Th3UglyTruth, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Entry day set up

#41     May 26, 2011
  2. Sold the remaining 500 AG to hold none; hit 10% profit target.

#42     May 31, 2011
  3. Considering the markets dropped yesterday; picking up 5% for a day trade wasn't bad...

#43     Jun 2, 2011
  4. "There is no peace when you live in fear"....

Position sizing: didn't use the whole $25K per trade as planned as the market wasn't looking good when the trade was taken.

What really happened: ZAGG moved to its own music ignoring what was going on with the market. Closed EOD with 6.7% gain.

Lesson: Trade what you see; not what you believe! :D

#44     Jun 2, 2011
  5. Summer doldrums or what?

We've had no decent signals for at least two weeks! Guess we shouldn't force the issue! Coincidence?

#45     Jun 8, 2011
  6. As annoying as it seems; no signals so far....trigger finger itchy....

LNKD is now $74....$10 gain if we shorted then....

This one is looking like a short too...

JCP $34.12; short at stop $33.20

#46     Jun 16, 2011
  7. Bounce or Trounce? As we head towards the typical summer doldrums...we are at a decision point. Will we have a bounce or are we headed down more?

Don't know...and don't care...will trade what is given to us....

0.16B/0.61M

#47     Jun 16, 2011
  8. The attached chart affirms:
    - Why trading into earnings can be painful...
    - Why NO ONE should take managements' comments as infallible...
    - Why you can be a better shot caller than ANALysts...
    - FUNdamentals may mean nothing...

The background:
    - Q4 2011 CC did not lower guidance; stuck to a $7.50 eps FCST
    - guided lower yesterday; announces buyback
    - cost optimization incentive (aka corporate lingo for lay offs!)

The ANALysts:
    - cuts their ratings; most of them anyway!
    - one still maintains a buy now with a target of $60! Either he is a genius and knows something the market doesn't....or

How did my kids call it?
    - they didn't want my Blackberry! They would rather get an iPhone or an Android!
    - they didn't want the Playbook...too bulky and heavy; not to mention that it didn't have cool apps..
    - ended buying 2 iPad2's...converting all 4 cellphones to iPhones!
    - don't really see the value in "push" email or the keyboard!
    - they commented on how painful it was to use its web surfing function!

Where is RIMM headed? Don't know....but I do know the following:
    - I've had zero confidence in management since they dismissed the iPhone...
    - When one of the top guys had a fit during a recent interview...sure gave a glimpse of how bad things may be

While I'm glad I don't hold any...I feel for those that I know who loves this Canadian icon and held on.

It may well be a grind from here on...haven't seen these levels of volumes...

It may get bought out...in the low teens? Trading at less than 5 PE....wow what a value!

#48     Jun 17, 2011
  9. AAPL is another example of:
    - FUNdamentals sometimes don't make sense; here is a great company with great products that is trading like a utility...
    - When Mr. Market is cranky...it bitches at everyone!
    - Technical analysis won't accurately pinpoint where the low will be (but will give you an idea?). In this case, would like to bite more at $310nish range. PnF points towards a $290ish price point.

What is missing?
    - no drivers to propel the stock anywhere
    - the "Steve" effect is still unresolved

The Pros?
    - they make gadgets that just works and are attractive (use and look) across generation/sex/culture.
    - iCloud; while not clear where this leads...being able to sync and update all your device at once is pretty darn cool! There has got to be a bigger revenue end game for this...
    - Flush with cash; management have been very consistent in guidance..
    - Like their products, it just executes

Between now and August...a little bite here and there maybe be the way to go....

I've always wondered about RIMM...
    - Given the fact that they pride themselves on "security"...why wouldn't their bright minds open it up for others to use and charge them a fee?
    - My kid the other day called by crackberry a pager that will answer back! So old school dad she says...

#49     Jun 18, 2011
  10. cloudy

cloudy

Well Jobs has been very much behind Apple's success. He's known as a control freak. He had the company dump those powerpc chips of the old iMacs and go to Intel. Changed to OSX based on a unix kernel , proven stability, efficiency along with Mac's brand of windowing interface.
    And made Apple products "cool" again with emphasis on design and quality parts. And leveraged deals with suppliers. the ipod was the first real quality touchpad handheld. And then the innovative iphone which helped bring more market share of their computers. Now they've got a store (which is often packed with visitors) in most every mall like their original days. Despite their products are still closed-systems. Their success is nothing short of remarkable.

#50     Jun 18, 2011