Trading for a living & taxes in EU

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by w4rri0r, Feb 18, 2018.

1. est1

est1

I'm in a very similar situation. I have now moved to Estonia. The summer here is alright. I wonder if you have any new thoughts or experiences?

#81     May 24, 2018
    manter likes this.
  2. d08

d08

The current weather is abnormally warm for may, don't expect this to be the usual every year.

#82     May 24, 2018
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Anyone from Spain around? I am contemplating a move there.

#83     Jun 13, 2018
  4. schweiz

schweiz

Not interesting anymore.
    Beckham Law: Changes in 2015
    On January 1st 2015 reforms of the Beckham Act take place again. On one hand, it excludes professional athletes from this regime. However, there is no retroactive effect, so that foreign players who had a contract in force were not affected by that modification.
    On the other hand, the limit of the € 600,000 per year disappears in order to benefit from the scheme. The higher incomes will tax 24% to 600,000 euros and from there to 45%.
    Dividends, interests and capital gains tax a rate of 19% to 23%.

#84     Jul 24, 2018
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Normal tax regime is OK in Spain, not a tax haven by any means, but there are much worse jurisdiction. If you incorporate yourself, you would 25% corporate tax + 23% on dividends = 0.25 + 0.75 * 0.23 = 42% taxation in the top bracket. The first 2 years , the corporate tax is 15% I think. You pay yourself a small salary on the side to get free social security...

#85     Jul 25, 2018
  6. They

They

#86     Jul 25, 2018
  7. schweiz

schweiz

These tax threads are useless.

For at least 75-85% there will never be a need to move to a lower taxregion. It only makes sense if you make money, enough money...

From the remaining , the majority will never move too (too difficult with family, too far away...), or too lazy to make the step.
    I meet in life too much people that told: I wish to move, or I wish to find another job, or I should divorce... But it stays a wish, they never do it, just repeat tgheir wishes over and over again for many years.
    Same story with low tax regions.

#87     Jul 25, 2018
    Douryan and Thous@nd-lot-Trader like this.
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Except that once u live as an expat u meet plenty of expat families who have made the move, often more than once - many of them through corporate arrangements but not only.
    Ime it s much more difficult to organize once one get married with kids ( I still have switched continent 3 times since having the first kid) but many readers are still probably single.
    Worthy discussion, just a bit of a shame information is scattered through many similar threads

#88     Jul 25, 2018

9. Very well said and I couldnt agree more.
    Nowadays the only bullet-proof way is to move tax-residence (which I understand when you have a family/kids is more effort).
    I am by far not an expert but 90% of the things I read on the internet regarding taxes is flat-out wrong or 'not completely' right which then leads to problems.

What I am not completely sure yet is if you put all your trading into a company (Cyprus for example which has 0% tax on stock trading and 12.5% corp tax on other trading gains).
    If then you live in a country like Malta for example where you can receive dividends of your company tax-free ( as long it is not remitted to Malta but to bank account in another country ) this could be an option to fall into the professional trading scheme vs Cap Gains.
    What do you think about that or am I missing something?

I spoke to different tax lawyers and didnt have always the same answers.

#89     Jul 25, 2018
    Douryan likes this.
  10. schweiz

schweiz

Go to PWC, Deloitte or KPMG. Will be in the end the cheapest solution, although they are not cheap.
    Cheap but bad advice will cost much more.

#90     Jul 25, 2018