Trading for a living & taxes in EU

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by w4rri0r, Feb 18, 2018.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

So true. that's exactly what I am doing for my current relocation to Spain. PWC is doing a full analysis of my personal situation. It will cost me 3K Euros, but a relocation is such an important step in a life and it is so easy to miss something that I prefer to get advice from professionals. Needless to say, there are so much more personal reasons for my move ( girlfriend job, cost of living, lifestyle, surf...) that tax treatment is almost a secondary consideration...

#91     Jul 25, 2018
    Douryan and schweiz like this.
  2. mh512

mh512

This area of tax on dividends and capital gains external to Spain is the 'grey' area. Probably very wise to get a ruling , hopefully with some liability, from one of the 'Big 4'.

This from a financial advisor in Spain who claims to have much experience of the 'Beckham Law'.
    https://www.spectrum-ifa.com/financial-advisers-in-spain/spanish-tax-2015/the-beckham-law-in-spain/
    https://www.spectrum-ifa.com/beckham-law-2018/

#92     Jul 25, 2018
  3. They

They

I would agree they are useless for 75-85% of wannabe traders as is most general trading advice.

For example, "I wish I could trade" I wish I could find a job in the trading industry" I wish I could divorce myself from my bad trading habits" But it stays a wish, they never do it, just repeat their wishes over and over again for many years. Most people go through life living in fear. Most people are salaried worker bees in reality and in personality.

Only around 40% of Americans have passports and half of those were acquired after 9/11 because they otherwise couldn't travel to Mexico or Canada.

As stated above if you have the funds and are interested in the tax savings and lifestyle change you can just speak to a reputable accounting firm in the respective Country.

#93     Jul 26, 2018
  4. schweiz

schweiz

That's the essential part as for each person the situation is different.
    There is no one-fits-all solution.

And probably PWC will propose to ask a ruling if the answer is not 100% sure. Price for standard classic rulking is around 5K.

Much cheaper then fighting later with tax authorities.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    #94     Jul 26, 2018
    Douryan and TraDaToR like this.
  5. schweiz

schweiz

If you have a fiscal ruling there is no liability problem. What is mentioned in the fiscal ruling can NEVER be changed afterwards. So the way of taxation is mentioned and also the period for which the fiscal ruling is valid. No tax authority can make additional taxations, unless you did not follow the rules mentioned in the fiscal ruling of course.

#95     Jul 26, 2018
    Douryan likes this.
  6. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Where in spain are you going ? Mainland, or one of the islands ?

#96     Jul 26, 2018
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Mainland( Basque Country ).

#97     Jul 26, 2018
    Douryan and CALLumbus like this.
  8. They

They

Great choice, beautiful area. I spent the first few weeks of June between San Sebastian and St Jean de Luz in FR. Planning on going back.

#98     Jul 26, 2018
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

That's exactly where I will live. It's not dead set, but 80% chance.

#99     Jul 26, 2018
  10. luisHK

luisHK

Thanks for the links. I'd read short presentations of the Beckham Law a couple of years ago which didn t seem attractive, at least for active traders, not sure of the exclusions for those. Looks good for one with a sizeable offshore portfolio desiring to retire on it in Spain, especially if the requirements to work in Spain are removed - Madrid fan here, will read more about it.

#100     Jul 26, 2018