Trading for a living....full time....only income

Discussion in 'Trading' started by catcando, Jul 5, 2002.

1. rs7

rs7

Trading IS stressful. It is just that for some people it is TOO stressful, and there is a difference!

I hope your monitor doesn't take any of what you say personally:)

#31     Jul 7, 2002
  2. Yes. Only, 'too' is ephemeral, too.

Life and death situations are too stressful, yet everyone gets there at some point.

People have a magnificent capablility of adapting and overcoming. The determiner, I think, is commitment. Is one committed enough to deal with the stress...to learn, to improve, to discipline one's self, to learn one's hot buttons, to keep a level head in success and failure, and so, to gain victory?

Perhaps one finds, on reflection, that he just isn't that committed after all. That is no disgrace. But if he is, what need stop him? He will do whatever it takes.

<font size=1>Just making a distinction.</i>

#32     Jul 7, 2002
  3. rs7

rs7

OK, point well taken. I just always think back to a friend of mine who thought he wanted to trade. I advised him against it because I thought his personality was not right. I talked about him in my "successful trading" thread.

He watched so many stocks, he couldn't see the forest for the trees. That part I mentioned. What I did not talk about was that he sat in a very cold room...we all do, the a/c is always on because their are so many computers and monitors. Most of us keep a sweat shirt or sweater available. Anyway, this friend of mine always looked like he was just coming off the golf course in florida in August. Or was having sex for 3 hours without being done. I mean he was soaked from head to toe. His keyboard and mouse were almost underwater. Talk about sweating the moves :) Got even worse when he moved up from paper trading:)
    So that was what I was thinking when I wrote "too stressful"!
    Sorry if the term was too "ephemeral".
    Chas, keep up the good posts and the constructive thinking.
    Good trading to everyone!

#33     Jul 7, 2002
  4. SteveD

SteveD

I would make the point that a trader should attempt, at least, to find that level of comfort, FOR HIM, that the stress is acceptable. Any endeavor that pays money has stress. Some is light but the money is also light. As you go up the pay scale the stress level goes up also. Brain surgeon makes more than a foot doctor, I assume.

I think the market is wonderful because there are so many different opportunities to trade, (swing, day, NYSE, etc). I have found my little niche that reduces my stress to an acceptable level and makes money.

#34     Jul 7, 2002
  5. I agree Steve. Also to be considered is the stress of <i>not</i> making enough money. There's no way to avoid stress. I think when you're committed to something, you learn to deal with it and perhaps overcome it...even use it.

Obviously, everyone is not meant to be a trader. If it weren't for people who were meant to run businesses or governments, there would be no use for traders. And if it weren't for people who weren't meant to cook (and farm, and distribute...etc), I woulnd't have good diner to eat at on Saturday morning.

Salute, Adam Smith.

hmmm...that should be, 'were meant to cook.':D

#35     Jul 7, 2002
  6. catcando

catcando

While almost all of the replies and further discussion on this thread have been useful, this one actually speaks to me. Obviously, I haven't started to trade full time yet and as many of you could relate, taking the initial plunge may be the hardest step of all, for me anyway, since I can honestly say I've done my homework on this subject. I'm not playing down the risks or stress involved, I'm simply stating that it may be like finally getting around to cutting the grass, half the battle is just GETTING STARTED!

The other points in rs7's reply really stress the fact that trading is a career choice, a business, a self employed full time business. This helps me continue to plan for my decision to start my own business, not stay home and dabble with stocks. In my current profession, sales manager for a 30mm equipment company, I'm constantly evaluating our results relative to other time periods, analyzing the market, studying trends, looking for new and better products and essentially looking for ways to improve our bottom line results. I believe this model will prove very useful in helping me to run my business like a business. Do more of what works and less of what doesn't. Sure it will take a ton of effort and stress to succeed, but my current job ain't a cake walk either.

Will the perceived financial rewards and freedom be worth it? I believe they will with every fiber of my being and I have 100% confidence in my ability to trade according to my plan and gain knowledge and experience very quickly. I can do it. I will do it.

Thanks to all for the help and I promise you I will continue to read and learn from other traders. I will be the first to say I was wrong and I will be the first to call bullshi- on people who are ignorant or just want to confuse others. I have seen my share of this on this board as well, but most are genuinely concerned and helpful.

Good luck to all.:)

#36     Jul 7, 2002
  7. Banjo

Banjo

If you bring those acquired disciplines and honest reviews of yourself, just as if you were an employee you must review in your present capacity, you will will be successful. The trick will be to not to adhere to tight parameters in terms of time neccessary to reach your goals. Imagination is some how always speedier than reality but it is neccessary to obtain the desired reality.

#37     Jul 7, 2002
  8. BillyG67

BillyG67

Im only a part timer. I have a full time job and i only get a couple of hours at the end of the day to trade. I started investing about 2 yrs ago (another great skill of mine is timing ha ha ha) although since i became interested in the stock market i have learned alot.(still have alot more to go) But i belive i am very dedicated and enjoy it. I don't understand why but i do. Since i started i have been consumed with the market. Somewhat on the excessive side. Just not enough time in my life to learn it all.

#38     Jul 7, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

P2,

Hum, don't like my cheerleading? OK, doing the wave for THV now.

~~~THV~~~~~THV~~~~~THV
    THV~~~~ THV~~~~~THV~~~~THV

nitro :)

#39     Jul 7, 2002
  10. Nitro, remind me monday, I'll teach you the THV dance....

THV.. Cha Cha Cha.... THv.... Cha Cha...

(There are hand motions too)

#40     Jul 7, 2002