Trading for a living....full time....only income

Discussion in 'Trading' started by catcando, Jul 5, 2002.

1. schweiz

schweiz

I never understood how you can have horrendous drawdowns. The first thing a good (day)trader should be able to do is keep drawdowns within an acceptable level.

I once wiped out my account a long time ago (early 90's). Since that moment I never ever had a drawdown of even 20%. After my wipe out I understood that the first thing to avoid is losing lots of money; it is even more important then high returns.

If it works and makes money it is also an edge, but not a very good one.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    #191     Nov 18, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

I suspect most that are able to trade full time for a living beat most salaried employees on a risk-adjusted basis, especially during the great recession when millions of salaried employees lost their job.

Another point: Given the same risk-adjusted return, I go with the one that gives the highest absolute return. Don't know if that make sense for professionals since I am just a retail trading my own funds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    #192     Nov 18, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

I do not day trade, I swing trade making directional bets with options, mostly riding the up trends. Drawdowns can be huge in volatile market down turns, like Feb-Mar and Oct of this year. :(

I tried to modify the method but all it did was limiting my gains, so I came to accept huge drawdowns and used Kelly Criterion to manage my risks instead.

#193     Nov 18, 2018
  4. ironchef

ironchef

I am a full time "trader" retired from my day job a long long time ago. The only difference between you and I is my trading methodology is nothing fancy, just riding the up trend - bull market. I have no doubt one of these days it will fail but still I am happy with a 9+ year run.

In the mean time I keep looking for a market neutral strategy and that is why I am here.

Regards,

#194     Nov 18, 2018
  5. Someone told me a friend of theirs made a £million/year trading US treasuries and found it very boring.I don't think he was lying.This was a few years ago now and I don't know if things changed for better or worse.

#195     Nov 18, 2018
  6. How much was his capital? using $1m capital to make $1m is very impressive. Using $20m capital to make $1m is mediocre.

#196     Nov 18, 2018
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I would feel WAY more comfortable using 20 million to make 1 million, than 1 million to make 1 million.

Think about it, chew it over, and you will clearly see why the former is way more comfortable than the latter.

#197     Nov 18, 2018
  8. Sure, that's my preference too. My point is if my target is to make $1m from $20m, a passive approach will be preferred. If I am highly active and hardworking, I would aim for higher returns.

#198     Nov 18, 2018
  9. I don't know if it was a true story or a tale to get information so take it as a tale but it's the only story I can add to the thread.Greenblatt made a lot doing value investing though.

#199     Nov 19, 2018
  10. -If you have savings equivalent to 6 months or more of expenses, drawdowns are ok.
    -If the trading capital is less than 20% of your money maybe you can sleep nice despite the drawdowns.

#200     Nov 19, 2018