Trading Floor Clerk

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BDGBDG, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

I view the law degree as a stop loss on my life. If I fail as a trader, I can always make a decent living practicing law. Oh well, thanks for the advice.

#11     Feb 15, 2006
  2. Ebo

Ebo

Then why not do the logical thing and get a paralegal job, and study charts and the market every waking moment you have and "swing trade" outside of work hours. No reason you can't enter an order here and there from work.

#12     Feb 15, 2006
  3. Going from applying for a job in hedge funds and applying to be a floor clerk is a huge difference. Why don't you just try going into an ibank as an analyst? It depends on where you got your degrees, of course, but assuming you got it in a decent school, there should be some ibank taking you on as an analyst. This way, you get into the door, and then learn the organization from the inside. Your law background may even be useful in some situations.

#13     Feb 15, 2006
  4. How about putting up your own shingle as an attorney, making 200K+ a year and swing trading? Did you pass the bar? Lawyers can make sick money. I don't think throwing that away is wise.

#14     Feb 15, 2006
  5. jsmooth

jsmooth

hanging around the "smoke break" areas outside the exchanges is actually a pretty good thing too do....i've done that a few times outside the CBOT years ago and most of the traders, runners, and clerks were really nice guys willing to chat.....also, most people love to talk about themselves, so they wont heisitate to tell you about how they got to where they are.

#15     Feb 15, 2006
  6. Ebo

Ebo

He never stated if he passed the Bar!

Get a job in legal/compliance for an IB and become friends with a few key traders is the most logical "back door"!

I know a real good guy that was a compliance nobody and weaseled his way onto an institutional desk and makes 500K or so, all because he was always on the "trader's side".

#16     Feb 15, 2006
  7. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

I have a degree in economics from the University of Connecticut and law degree from a 4th tier school you never heard of, although it is accredited and has a decent local reputation. Yes, I passed the bar. I don't believe those degrees would get me in to an I-bank. I can practice law, but my heart would not be in it. I've always wanted to be a trader. In retrospect, the law degree was a mistake. The education was great, but the tution killed me, so I don't have the luxury of taking low-paying jobs that offer great experience. The hudge funds positions were trading type jobs (execution) and I thought they would be good experience.

#17     Feb 15, 2006
  8. Ebo

Ebo

You would be surprised!
    Lose the defeatest attitude, and start thinking positive dude.
    I am trying to help you. If you have passed the NY BAR get any job at any Brokerage firm in Legal/Compliance, it is better than a low life FLOOR clerk job. I have been there. It was a great stepping stone 10 years ago. The Hybrid shit and decimals squashed the floor.

After a year or two at a compliance job, you will be friends with three or four head Traders. then after a few beers, ask for a job!

BAM, you are a junior institutional BIG SHOT in 2 years .

GO FOR IT, I just want a beer when hired.

#18     Feb 15, 2006
  9. katesdp

katesdp

10. Fat chance getting in with a compliance background. All you're going to do is pigeon-hole yourself. Nobody will take you seriously - no matter how much you love the markets, people will assume you don't have the aptitude for it.

That's the worst advice I've ever read.

#20     Feb 15, 2006