Trading Floor Clerk

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BDGBDG, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

How can I get a job on the floor of a major exchange? Also, would it be worth it being that many on the site predict that trading floors will eventually become obsolete?

2. Ebo

Ebo

Find a frat brother or relative, or don't bother.

3. Well, the Floor will be in a slow decline for a long time. There are people out there who predicted the death of floor 3-5 years ago (including yours truly), but the floor is still there, still significant paper volume daily, but the floor is clearly declining every year.

4. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

I am looking for an entry-level position. If not the floor, where else? I want to become a scalper. I have a lot of student loans, so I can't just go to a prop shop. I can live of 50K a year. Any jobs areound the NY area?

5. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

I wasn't in a frat and don't have any relatives that are in the business.

6. Ebo

Ebo

Go hang out in front of Broad Street entrance to NYSE or North street NYMEX "smoking galleries" out front. you are not going to make $50K as a Clerk with no experience.

I was a NYSE clerk for 3 years in the 90's before moving upstairs.

7. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

How much do clerks make? I can always get a night job to supplement my income I guess.

8. Ebo

Ebo

With Zero experience, as a favor you might get a $30K/year job.
    An experienced front-line Wire House clerk makes $100K + (including bonus) a year with MUCHO experience.

You still have not stated why someone should hire you VS. some kid with summer experience on the NYSE floor?

9. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

Although I don't have any formal experience, I probably know more than most candidates. I am also intelligent and ambitious. I have a law degree too, although that fact has proven to be a hinderance. Two hedge funds told me that my law degree shows that I don't know what I really want to do with my life and, thus, we are not going to hire you. I think that is BS. Anyways, I am looking to eventually trade for myself. I know I am smart and ambitious enough to be successful, I just need to get my foot in the door.

10. Ebo

Ebo

Then remove it off your resume if you can not turn it into an asset!

Working on an exchange floor is only going to frustrate you then.
    You will be perceived as arrogant and overeducated.

Get a "job" at a Prop firm and give it a year. if you can't figure it out in a year, well then try The management Training program at Mickee Dee's!

#10     Feb 15, 2006