Trading filters other then Whisper?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by katiewc, Apr 21, 2009.

1. katiewc

katiewc

I'm looking for some trading filters to identify Gaps, as well as momentum stocks. Can someone give me any suggestions other then Insight's Whisper? Any free ones out there by any chance?

2. trade-ideas

esignal advanced get

depending on the filter, you could roll your own using free data from google and yahoo... but for the money trade-ideas gives you thousands of filters for something like $30/month so it's a good value.

3. katiewc

katiewc

i've heard good thigns about trade ideas...
    anything similar but cheaper? i'm just looking for something to filter gaps from yday to today.

4. trade ideas is about as cheap as it comes commercially.

if all you need is close->open filter... you can get this in tradelink for free. eg:

Code:
    decimal gap = QuickQuote.Fetch("IBM").open - BarListImpl.DayFromGoogle("IBM").RecentBar.Close;

The opening price comes from yahoo... they don't provide yesterdays close though. This comes from google finance.

It's free, but you have to be respectful of how frequently you call it. If you overuse it they will rate limit you (or worst blacklist your ip).

5. katiewc

katiewc

hi i actually want it to find me a list of stocks that gapped. for your method i would need to have a list of stocks and amongst those it would filter out gaps no?

6. well not exactly, like I said you can scan the entire market... but the free services are restricted so you have to play nice.

in tradelink you would combine the above like:

Code:
    decimal GAPAMT = 1;
    List<string> gapped = new List<string>();
    foreach (string sym in SymbolList.All)
    {
       decimal gap = QuickQuote.Fetch(sym).open - BarListImpl.DayFromGoogle(sym).Close;
       if (Math.Abs(gap)>GAPAMT)
         gapped.Add(sym);
       System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(10);
    }

that would scan all the stocks with a 10 millsecond pause in between each query... so for 10,000 stocks it would take a minute or two to run. If it takes much longer than that it's probably because yahoo is rate-limiting you, and you'd need to increase the sleep number.

just play nice. If you are using free services it's really better to constrain your list to a sector, or stocks with news on them... generally stocks with news on them are the ones that are gapping anyways.

So if you obtain a list of news sites you like, say briefing or whatever... then you can get smaller lists for these like :

Code:
    FetchTarget ft = new FetchTarget();
    ft.Url = "http://finance.yahoo.com/briefinginplay.html";
    Basket symbols = ft.URL();
    // then do same thing
    foreach (Security s in symbols)
    {
       string sym = s.Symbol;
       decimal gap = QuickQuote.Fetch(sym).open - BarListImpl.DayFromGoogle(sym).Close;
       if (Math.Abs(gap)>GAPAMT)
         gapped.Add(sym);
       System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(10);
    }

you can also match only clickable symbols, do intersections and unions between various page matches, etc.